tger greenhaddock: Grasshopper

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Grasshopper

As everyone in northern Europe knows the weather has been a bit variable this summer with the dice decidedly loaded in favour of lots of rain. This has caused a few problems in the garden, mainly with a fungal infection attacking the tomato plants. this seems to be caused by too much rain and damp conditions. All I’ve been able to to do it cut off affected parts of the plants and pray for sunny weather. I seem to be winning though. I also seem to be mowing the lawn more than usual as well

On the bright side we have had a bumper crop of cucumbers which is fortunate as we eat a lot of them. We have harvested the first of the green sweet peppers and today picked the first aubergine (eggplant). We are munching through both varieties of cherry tomatoes, although it will be few weeks before the maincrop toms ripen. Fruitwise we are coming to the end of the blueberries, which is a shame as Mrs H’s blueberry icecream is a big hit. But now the Victoria plums and Mirabelle are starting to ripen and both taste really nice.

When it was sunny and hot a few weeks ago I managed to snap the above piccy of a grasshopper that was resting on some flowering Silberblatt.

Technorati Tags: , ,

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blueberry ice cream sounds so dreamy.

July 29, 2007 11:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, came across your blog on topsites/personal. It's a very interesting, nicely styled blog. I also love the grasshopper photo. Have bookmarked your blog address and will stop by every now and then.

July 29, 2007 7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice grasshopper!

Yeah, I kind of have the feeling that the rain has kind of gotten the upper hand this year, though everyone in my family always denies it and says I am crazy ;-D

Sounds like a great garden - what variety!

July 30, 2007 7:53 AM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I'm just hoping for some sunny warm days! I'm really sick of the instable weather. Let's hope for a nice month of August, right?

July 30, 2007 7:26 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Heza - Its my favourite icecream! :)

Spade & Spoon - Thanks for stopping by. Glad you enjoyed your visit :

Karen - The weathers's so bad it's almost like an English summer! :)

CS - August can only be better! (I hope/pray etc!) :)

July 31, 2007 11:03 AM  
Blogger Mike B said...

That's the first european grasshopper I've ever seen ... I woulnd't have thought it was a grasshopper. They're greener in North America.

July 31, 2007 3:35 PM  
Blogger Maribeth said...

When did you start your eggplant? Mine still look woefully inadequate and I wonder if I shall have any at all. Since it has been dry here everything is way behind. Not happy at all with my garden this year.

August 01, 2007 4:51 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Our tomatoes are coming along nicely and haven't suffered any weather damage but a tiny little Hokkaido pumpkin that I had great hopes for just rotted away with all the rain. It's *supposed* to be sunny today and I had planned to get out there and dig around but it's not looking too good now.

Beautiful grasshopper photo!

August 02, 2007 9:13 AM  
Blogger Martina said...

Mike: around here (south of Darmstadt) we have green grasshoppers; I always assumed the brown ones were crickets.

Anyhow we have small brown jumpy thingees and large green jumpy thingees.

August 02, 2007 9:20 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Your property sounds divine. Though I'm sure you work hard to bring forth so many gifts from the land. You have rain... we have none. Too bad we couldn't do some exchange from time to time!

August 03, 2007 8:45 PM  
Blogger Barb@TimeIsShort said...

Here's to sunny days. Will you make sauce with your tomatoes?

August 05, 2007 2:38 PM  
Blogger C said...

Oooh! I LOVE that picture.

I've only harvested peas and sesame leaves so far. My tomatoes are all still green. :-/

August 05, 2007 4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home