tger greenhaddock: Too close for comfort

Monday, June 11, 2007

Too close for comfort

Friday evening I received a call at work from the Juniorette to tell me that a house just down the road from ours was on fire. Mrs H had been in our garden and noticed some smoke and flames coming from the carport of the house. She informed our immediate neighbours who called the fire brigade and then went with them to examine the fire closer. Within minutes the fire was raging and had spread to the main part of the house and another neighbour’s carport. The fire brigade turned up very promptly and got the fire under control. Luckily there was no wind that evening to fan the flames higher and possibly catch light to surrounding houses.

This incident has shocked our little community on the new housing estate. The speed with which the fire spread seems to have surprised everyone, but both carports were also used for storage of wood for wood burning stoves and this would have been very dry with the high temperatures of late. The house itself is not liveable at the moment and the construction company will later this week decide if the house is salvageable or if it will have to be completely rebuilt.

Fortunately nobody was hurt in the fire, and at the present time it is unclear how it started. Initial estimates put the damage at around €250,000. The owners were away at the time but were there the following morning and looked a bit distressed. As a community we all feel very sorry for them. I have been through a fire experience myself many years ago and understand to certain extent what they must be going through.

Technorati Tags: , ,

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous lillian said...

That is scarry and am so glad the fire didn't spread ! Glad you are safe :-)

June 11, 2007 2:35 AM  
Blogger Ingo said...

This is a true nightmare!

June 11, 2007 10:00 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I am glad no one was hurt. Structure fires are one of my greatest fears since I was a child (my dad was a firefighter for 30 years so that added to it).

June 11, 2007 10:30 AM  
Anonymous deepblue said...

Good, that nobody was hurt, and I hope, that the Juniorette and Mrs, H. weren't too shocked.

June 11, 2007 11:13 AM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

OMG! I'm glad, like you said, that it wasn't windy! Have they found out how it actually started?

June 11, 2007 6:19 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Lillian - We were so glad it didn't spread! :)

Ingo - It's the nightmare that everyone hopes they will never experience.

Andrea - This incident has really highlighted the fact that I need to buy some fire extinguishers for our house.

Deepblue - The Juniorette was pretty shocked, but like most kids she is already over it :)

CS - Some investigators were there today, but so far nobody has heard anything. The displaced family are staying at the Bürgermeisters house for the time being. The Frau of the family is actually Canadian.

June 11, 2007 9:58 PM  
Anonymous Maribeth said...

That's so sad. When I was a kid we had what is called a "fire bug" in our town. This young man torched over 20 homes and a lumber company before he was caught. I still recall it vividly and I am so careful with fire of any kind.

June 12, 2007 1:40 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Oh it must be so incredible awful to loose your home and all of your belongings to a fire. I feel so sad for your neighbours.

June 13, 2007 2:06 PM  
Blogger Ex-Shammickite said...

I was interested to read about your fire experience in Ilfracombe. Was that when the Arcade burnt down? I was in Ilfracombe shortly after that fire. I think another of the old Victorian hotels burnt just recently, I read it in the online NDJ.

June 13, 2007 6:26 PM  
Blogger Ex-Shammickite said...

FYI: It was the Collingwood Hotel that burnt down in May 2007.

June 13, 2007 7:40 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Maribeth - That person must have caused a lot of heartache in your town.

Nan - Thanks for your kind words :)

Ex-Shammickite - 1st September 1983 was when the arcade burnt down and I was part of it. Over the years a lot of hotels have burnt down in Ilfracombe.
Thats a shame about the Collingwood; I used to drink there many moons ago - It was always a good place for a lock in! :)

June 14, 2007 8:29 AM  
Blogger swenglishexpat said...

How sad for your neighbours. It also reminds you of your own vulnerability and you realise it could have been your house. On the positive side, nobody was at home and got injured or worse. After all you can replace things but not people.

June 14, 2007 5:36 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

How sad for the whole community. Life is fleeting, things are fleeting, are they not?

June 15, 2007 4:53 PM  
Blogger Jeremy Jacobs said...

Hotels, Ilfracombe - arson?

June 16, 2007 11:18 AM  
Blogger Expat Traveler said...

ouch! that is all too sad...

June 17, 2007 4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home