tger greenhaddock: Exceptional Weather

Monday, April 30, 2007

Exceptional Weather

The weather has been exceptional this spring breaking many records. In the UK it has been the hottest April on record, and here in Marburg we haven’t had any rain in almost 6 weeks. This of course has been great weather for grilling and going to the lake. Last Sunday the thermometer in Marburg broke through the 30C mark which for April I believe is a tad too much.

Our lawn is looking a bit brown in places and the ground is rock hard. On the up side many plants are growing really well, and I have planted out my first 4 tomato plants which had out grown the cold frame. If the weather turns a bit colder they should be ok as they originate from Russia. I am also growing a variety of aubergine that comes from the Ukraine – apparently they glow in the dark (only kidding!)

Fruit is setting on the blueberry and blackcurrant bushes, but unfortunately the gooseberry bush has been attacked again by sawfly caterpillars which tend to decimate the foliage. So everyday I have to pick off the offending blighters. In the next few weeks I intend to plant out my sweet peppers. I am growing 3 varieties this year including a chocolate coloured one.

What would be nice now is a little bit of rain as the Germany is becoming very dry and many areas are at risk from forest fires. Unfortunately there is no rain forecast for our area for at least a further 10 days. Our rain water tank is currently empty as well, so we are now using grey water from the kitchen to help water the plants in the flower beds. Perhaps I should learn how to do a rain dance.

Technorati Tags: , ,

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re the rain dance, you should have asked John 'Blackbird' Summers, when you had your class the other night

April 30, 2007 1:41 PM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Same weater predicitions here, although we should be getting a bit of rain on Wed./Thurs. Anyway, it would do the plants a lot of good and I'm sure the farmers would welcome it.

Nevertheless, we will be BBQ-ing tonight ;)

April 30, 2007 1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you send the sunshine here? All we have been having is rain! I started my seeds in the green house, but some sunshine sure would help!

April 30, 2007 2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

be sure to film and blog about it, when you learn the rain dance :-)

May 01, 2007 2:26 AM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

We have been getting 80F weather here too! It finally started raining tonight, but I don't think that we will get enough to do much good.

Hop you have better luck.

May 01, 2007 3:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The weather has brought all sorts of good things. The fruit and veggie stand on the way up the hill to my house opened this week. I love it! Good luck with the plants, I always kill things :)

May 01, 2007 8:18 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Nordbank - Looks like I missed a golden opportunity! :)

Canadianswiss - The farmers are complaining here as well! its either too much rain or not enough! :)
Hope you enjoyed the barbie! :)

Maribeth - Ww should weather for a few days! :)

Lillian - Perhaps I would become famous on YouTube! (not with my legs though!) :)

Sylvana - Glad somebody got some rain! :)

Andrea - I'm enjoying the weather as well, I just wish we could have a bit of rain as well preferably overnight and not during the days! :)

May 01, 2007 10:46 AM  
Blogger (S)wine said...

blogmad hit.
what's it like in Munich right about now?
i'm travelling there soon.

May 01, 2007 5:32 PM  
Blogger Martin Stickland said...

Hey mister green fingers, it is hot and dry in sunny old blighty too Glowing veg! tee hee

May 01, 2007 6:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Feel free to take some of it from us. It's the exact opposite for us here, all rain and no sun! I guess there has been a shift of weather extremes!

May 02, 2007 5:17 AM  
Blogger Blithe said...

Hi from Two Tree Hill,

You visited my site a while back. I'm researching a novel about a family that migrates in the 1870s from your Marburg to my Marburg in Queensland, Australia. I was wondering if you could email me as I have a couple of questions about the original Marburg that I can't find info on at the tourism site.

With thanks,

blithe.auden@gmail.com
twotreehill.blogspot.com

P.S. I enjoy hearing about your garden. It's so dry here that I have only been able to keep my herbs alive and a bit of rocket. We use greywater on the flowers and trees but even they are suffering.

May 02, 2007 5:18 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Ix - Thanks for stopping. The forecast for Munich looks good for the next week.

Martin - My brother and tribe have been down to Woolacombe beach several times in April. Apparently the water is a bit cold though! :)

ET - The weather seems to be breaking records worldwide at the moment. And to think some politicians are still in denial about climate change! :)

Blithe - I have visted your site a few times and it is very interesting to learn about Marburg in Australia. I will mail you later :)

May 02, 2007 9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know a rain dance from my Florida days. But I'm not ready to unleash a wicked thunderstorm here. However, a little relief for the farmers and the Isar River would do some good. I can relinquish a few awesome days for rain, but it better get right back to gorgeous ;-)

May 02, 2007 11:22 PM  
Blogger Shammickite said...

I thought I already commented on this post, but obviously not! Such hot weather and lack of rain is really quite worrying. It's not the usual spring weather in Europe, that's certain. And it's been somewhat below normal temps here in my part of Canada. Scary really.

May 03, 2007 3:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, please learn to do the rain dance. Water is getting a bit scarce here too.

But the weather is magnificent - isn't it? :-)

May 03, 2007 7:18 AM  
Blogger EuroTrippen said...

I'm dreading this summer... it's supposed to break heat records all over europe and I just don't think this many are equipped to cope with such heat.

Of course, I'm saying this as an a/c loving, indulgent american expat. lol. Maybe it won't be as bad as I'm envisioning.

May 03, 2007 10:50 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Our garden is going crazy too. Everything seems to be about a week or two ahead of time. We're kind of reluctant to water too much but it's all so DRY right now. No rain in the past 6 weeks here either.

May 04, 2007 12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home