tger greenhaddock: Wir sind Werder Bremen

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Wir sind Werder Bremen

On Sunday the Haddock family travelled up to Dortmund to watch Werder Bremen play in a critical Bundesliga clash with Borussia Dortmund. Werder are fighting to win the championship whilst Dortmund are battling against relegation. The weather was fantastic, sunny and hot, with temperatures reaching over 30°C in parts of the Ruhrpott. The game was a sell out, with 81,000 fans in attendance at the Signal Iduna Park stadium. This ground is the largest in Germany and must be one of the largest in Europe. Even so it is not one of my favourite stadiums as views of the complete pitch are restricted in some seating areas.


We met up with fellow Werder fans and family members Mr Blue and Boyblue before the game (Boyblue seen in photo) and then took our seats for the game. The atmosphere was fantastic, the Bremen away fans were in fine voice and I had a sore throat by the end of the game from shouting and singing too much. Werder took the lead through Miroslav Klose and doubled it shortly after with a curling free kick from Diego which was wonderful to watch. The game ended 2-0 with Werder fully deserving to win. They had a few wobbly moments in defence, but then they always do. One downer was that Tom Borowski (Juniorettes favourite player) re-injured his knee and won’t be able to play for a while.

It was a really good day out and excellent that Bremen won. A couple of years ago I had to work in Dortmund for 6 months which meant I had to spend a lot of time away from Mrs H and the Juniorette which put a considerable strain on us all. So I considered our visit back to Dortmund on Sunday with Werder winning like a little bit of payback.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw I am sorry that Juniorette's favourite player was injured!

I have never been to a football game myself maybe someday I will go. I am a bit afraid of being overrun by hooligans :I

April 17, 2007 2:33 PM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

A perfect soccer/football fan Sunday! :)

April 17, 2007 6:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hope Werder Bremen gets the Bundesliga title this year. It's not healthy for the league if Bayern keeps getting the title year after year. : )

April 19, 2007 10:38 AM  
Blogger Shammickite said...

I know nothing about German football teams, but it sounds like you watched a good game and had a great day out!
My sons played football (soccer) as kids, but the game doesn't have the same manic following here in N.A. as it does in Europe. In Canada, it's all Hockey, Hockey, Hockey... by that I mean the Ice variety.

April 19, 2007 7:48 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Nan - Hopefully his injury won't keep him out of the team for too long :)

CanadianSwiss - If only all Sundays were like that! :)

Dude - I totally agree. It could be that Bayern may not even qualify for the Champions League! :)

Nony Mouse - Die you manual spammer! :)

Ex-Shammickite - Ice hockey is quite popular in Germany as well but I have never been to a game! :)

April 20, 2007 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home