tger greenhaddock: It's all Zulu to me

Saturday, March 31, 2007

It's all Zulu to me

Last week I was ill for a couple of days. I was feeling generally lousy with a mild fever, but after a couple of days of Zulu juice I was feeling a lot better. During the winter months I take an Echincea supplement to help boost my immune system and it seems to work a treat as I succumb to less colds and minor ills. However I only take Echincea during the winter months, so Mrs H bought me some Umckaloabo drops which helps boosts your immune system with respect to viruses and bacteria, especially when connected with the lungs. It seemed to work and it is really from the Zulus.

It is made from the roots of Perlargonium reniforme plant (a type of Geranium) from South Africa. It is used by traditional healers (which doctors are those – silly joke), to treat a variety of illnesses and is sold in Germany under the name Umckaloabo. It was originally brought to Europe early last century by an Englishman named Stevens. At the time the Lancet medical journal was scathing in its report on the new wonder remedy. But even so over a hundred years later and it works for me, maybe it’s the placebo effect, but who cares if I fell better.

Technorati Tags: , ,

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's all that really counts, isn't it? Feeling better.
I've got a case of the sniffles myself. Don't think they have Zulu juice here;~)

March 31, 2007 6:08 PM  
Blogger Shammickite said...

My son swears by Echinacea too, he says he doesn't get as many colds when he takes it through the winter. I'll have to tell him about the Zulu juice. I get a flu shot at the start of every winter (free!) and haven't had a cold or any sort of winter related illness since I have been having them.

March 31, 2007 6:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hope you feel better. Working on sundays aren't fun at all!

April 01, 2007 6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting! I also used Umckaloabo, but didn't know about its Zulu-history. I'm a fan of Echinacea, too, ans as I'm a big hypochondriac, I'm a fan of herbal medicine and so on and very critical concerning "normal" doctors. I now realized the working system of my doctor: He gives you medicine against everything, that might kill you sooner or later (if there is a medicine), and everything else you have to live with. So I prefer to live with Zulus!

April 02, 2007 9:39 AM  
Blogger EuroTrippen said...

Normally I would scoff at anything holistic, but I'm coming off of the worst winter I've ever had as far as illness is concerned. Time to go google Umckaloabo...

April 03, 2007 12:12 PM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Hey! Where did my comment go?? Hmph!

That's really interesting. I've passed the name on to OX. He has realtives (sister, dad) with a bit more vulnerable lungs.

PS: What's an aswog? LOL. It was my verif. word.

April 03, 2007 7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can only confirm the positive effect of Umckalaobo - have used it myself and it does seem to work.
Glad you are feeling better :-)

April 05, 2007 7:20 AM  
Blogger Jeremy Jacobs said...

Yeh right, sounds like something straight out of a Monty Python sketch.

Uncleoboe!!!

April 05, 2007 9:16 PM  
Blogger Martin Stickland said...

I find that the wonder drug 'BEER' helps me a lot too!

I must go and find some of this Zulu stuff, it may stop the wife from snoring!

Have good Easter!

April 06, 2007 11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home