tger greenhaddock: Spring is in the air

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Spring is in the air

The past few days have been warm and sunny in Marburg. The birds are pairing up, and the Daffodils are not too far away from flowering. Spring is in the air. But for me one of the defining signs that spring is slowly on its way is when migratory birds start heading north again. A couple of nights ago I heard Cranes flying overhead on their way to their summer breeding grounds. They are certainly earlier this year than last, but as a rule of thumb I generally expect to see them around Mrs H’s birthday, which incidentally is tomorrow. So I expect with continued good weather to see a lot more Cranes heading north in the next few days.

Of course with all this spring activity I wouldn’t be surprised if winter turns up in a big way some time to spoil it all.


Technorati Tags: , ,

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what happened here. All was going along just fine and I was ready to break out my shorts, when BAM, we got hit with a foot of snow!

February 17, 2007 11:14 PM  
Blogger Mike B said...

I had a few birds cross my flight path today, but fortunately nothing that large.

February 18, 2007 11:34 PM  
Blogger Shammickite said...

Happy Birthday to Mrs H, big cake, candles and I hope she gets some lovely flowers from her best admirer.
Still lots of snow here, this is the 30th day with below freezing temps, I think I am emigrating to Marburg. Please meet me at the airport.

February 19, 2007 12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're still wondering if Spring will ever get here...Cleveland's in the same boat as ex-shammickite. Been cold forever :(

February 19, 2007 4:07 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Maribeth - So far so good with the weather here so far. Its almost time to think about which seed to plant this year :)

Mikeb - You watch out for those birds! from what I see on TV a bird stike can be pretty nasty for an aircraft!

Ex-Shammickite - Thanks for the Birthday wishes for Mrs H. 30 days below zero is a long time - we'll be at the airport! :)

Ryan -Thanks for stopping by. I see from the news that the US has had some serious snow this year. We were in Florida in early January and it was very warm, but that was before the big freeze hit North America :)

February 19, 2007 7:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i see it here too but we have so much more rain that its harder to figure out. I love it!

February 20, 2007 9:22 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

It seems odd to think of spring already. We've just gotten our first snows. The birds... I never thought to look at who is here now. I realize I don't even know who had left (except the robin... that's an obvious one!)

February 23, 2007 2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home