tger greenhaddock: 300

Friday, April 20, 2007

300

For the last couple of days the Juniorette has been away on a school trip to the Edersee. This is her first time to stay at a youth hostel and she was really looking forward to the trip. Of course with the Juniorette away the parents get to play. So we went out to a local Italian to eat and then went to the late showing at the Cinema. We decided to watch 300 as it was showing in English. It was a great movie about the Spartans in early Greece, and in particular 300 Spartan heroes that faced the savage hordes of the Persian empire. It was filmed very well, and once you got past the limbs and heads being chopped off, the story was rather good. A lot of the battle seems were filmed in slow motion (in the style of The Matrix), but the acting, the mood of the film and the storyline shone through and the violence seemed secondary. In retrospect the brutality of some of the scenes was needed. Combat is brutal, and in those days battle was done face to face and downright bloody. I suspect this film isn’t for everyone, but I would recommend seeing it as its general message of sacrifice to save those you love is a valid one.

On a less violent note, I trained with the Alte Herren (old Men) football team earlier this week at the same club that the Juniorette plays for. We played for 90 minutes and it was a lot of fun but my legs did feel it and I realise I still need to do a lot more to get into shape. Now over 48 hours later and my knees and ankles are giving me grief. Nothing serious, just strain injuries that will clear up in a few more days. But this hasn’t dampened my enthusiasm as when my shift work allows I will train with them again.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

gosh.. maybe you should leave football. My hubby always comes back injured.. yet keeps going week after week. How about the gym, or some other sports that is less dangerous for men of a certain age hahaha

April 20, 2007 12:09 PM  
Blogger Andrea M said...

I get winded chasing my five year old. Age has nothing to do with it :)

April 20, 2007 2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I've given up my tough sport days. I think I'm going to do the gym routine from now on. My knee is just getting back into shape after my Feb. ski accident.

April 20, 2007 3:29 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Lillian - I try to get to the gym once a week, but lately that hasn't been the case. Besides playing football is so much more fun! :)

Andrea - Yeah energetic kids can be tiring! :)

Maribeth - Fortunately I've never had a bad injury, just sprains and strains. Perhaps its because I've never been skiing! :)

April 22, 2007 4:44 AM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Isn't it funny how we seem to love doing certain activities although we know that we will feel the pain afterwards??

April 22, 2007 10:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

well i'm glad you are still trying to get in the training! I start a new job tomorrow and will have to reverse all of my training again.. I'm a bit set back by this since I've had 5 yrs of freedom!

April 23, 2007 12:31 AM  
Blogger EuroTrippen said...

Ha! We said more or less the same thing about 300. Weeks later and I still want to kill Persians!

May 03, 2007 10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home