tger greenhaddock: Last Weekend

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Last Weekend

We enjoyed our trip to Nürnberg last weekend to watch Germany play San Marino. Germany won 6-0, but it wasn’t the best game I have ever seen. Before the game we went into town and had a little look around. Nürnberg looks a nice town and we would like to re-visit sometime to see the Christmas market. What really struck me was the fact that next to the football stadium was the stadium where the Nazi’s held their rallies back in the 1930’s. For some reason I always assumed it was either destroyed or torn down, so I was a bit shocked and surprised to see it there. It seems to be put to better use nowadays as whilst we were their there was a rock concert going on.

Whilst in the stadium, but before the game started we took the Juniorette to the first aid station to have a tick removed from her shoulder. She also found another on her leg when we got home later that night. We thought this was weird, but then so was the mileage of our trip – 666 km from door to door. But as I have recently discovered the number of the beast is not quite what it seems.

The Silbermond concert at Hessentag was very good, and we managed to find a spot where the Juniorette had a good view, and where we oldies could sit down for a little while. On the way home we used a train where our tickets were not valid. I was too tired to care; besides I pay Deutsche Bahn enough for my season ticket any way. We weren’t the only people in this situation and if the trains had been running correctly (not late!) that this situation wouldn’t have existed in the first place. Nether the less the Juniorette found it quite exciting to be doing something naughty!

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Maribeth said...

Great picture! Sounds like a fun time. I really loved Nürnberg when we visited.

June 09, 2007 2:48 AM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Two ticks in one day? That's rather odd... I'd love to see the Christmas market in Nürnberg; I hear it's really great.

I love the picture :)

June 09, 2007 8:17 AM  
Blogger swenglishexpat said...

What a day out! I listened to Silbermond via your previous link. Sounded quite good. It is easy to forget there is a German musical scene out there, however strange that may sound. Perhaps one should check it out. As for the train ride, what are you teaching your daughter, naughty!

June 09, 2007 3:06 PM  
Blogger Blueyes said...

Ewwws ticks are nasty. I had one behind my ear during a camping trip that had been there for DAYS. Needless to say when I finally found it I freaked out and it was HUGE from sucking all my blood. Of course I was only like 9 or something. :)

June 10, 2007 12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Mr Haddock, Mr Shiney here. Ticks, I've got a jar on my office shelf with somwhere in the region of two hundred and fifty of the blighters that I've removed from my delectably rotund body over the last two years, maybe I should use sheep dip. I tend to pick the things up whilst doing botanical surveys crawling through bracken etc. This weeks count was high at a grand total of eighteen. If the juniorette makes a habbit of getting the things you need to get yourself the O'Tom tick picker, it works every time even though you get it from the vet. On another subject my PC died a few weeks back and I lost your email and postal addresses. I've also changed ISP so if you call I'll give you our new email and home address as we've moved house too, we took our phone number with us.

June 10, 2007 1:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like fun. Riding DB illegally? Oh you rebels! :)

June 10, 2007 10:40 AM  
Blogger Nan said...

I am sorry about the Juniorette and her ticks. I hope they won't multiply even further. I have actually never been to a football game in my life and lately there have been so much violence involved - hooliganism and drunks.

The Aerosmith concert was a blast - I am sorry you couldn't go. I hope you had fun anyways!

June 10, 2007 3:58 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Maribeth - I liked the picture as well. Mrs H can be quite handy with the camera at times! :)

CS - It's a bit baffling how she acquired the ticks considering she had only been in the car and then walking around the town center in Nürnberg.

swenglishexpat - The German music scene does seem to be getting better than it was a few years ago :)

Blueyes - Our cats get them all the time, the Juniorette from time to time, and I have had 2 in my life (both in Germany). Horrible things!

Mr Shiney - Good to see you again Sir. I will be phoning you very soon. 250 ticks in 2 years - If that was here in Germany I would be paranoid about the nasty diseases you can get from them. Fortunately the Haddock family are immunised against the FSH (or whatever its called!) - I don't want to die from a tick. I'd much rather go in a more exotic way, like being trampled to death by a herd of rampaging wildebeast :)

Andrea - We Haddocks live on the wild side! ;)

Nan - Glad you enjoyed your Aerosmith gig and had a great time. The support band at your gig sounds like they were very good! :)

June 10, 2007 9:42 PM  
Blogger Bill Graber said...

Back when I was a girl and my Dad was stationed in Germany we used to go to the Christmas Market every year in Nurnburg... those were sure special trips for us.

June 11, 2007 12:00 AM  
Blogger Martin Stickland said...

Hello! Haddock,

All the pubs are being shut down in Ilfracombe so it's free beer for the next week!!! Hello?... Haddock? .. I was joking, anyway you will not get a plane this time of night!

June 11, 2007 12:03 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Funny hat! We've got one that looks like a beer stein.

Mr M found a tick on his arm on Saturday too and he was only walking around in our garden. Luckily the risk of infection isn't very high up here in these parts.

June 11, 2007 9:43 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Paula - I bet you must've moved around a lot as a forces kid :) Where was you dad stationed over here?

Martin - Free Beer! I'll walk for free beer. See you in 2 weeks as its a bloody long walk! :)

Christina - The Marburg area has an FSME alert (as does Nürnberg) but fortunately we have have had our shots :)

June 11, 2007 9:50 PM  
Blogger Jeremy Jacobs said...

I'm surprised that yoiu wer shocked that the stadium at Nurnberg was used for Nazi Rallies.

(Does this say something about modern Germany)

June 16, 2007 11:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember ticks in our neighborhood of montreux - odd also!

And I just love the pic!!! (more I say!)

June 17, 2007 4:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home