tger greenhaddock: Grey water

Friday, May 04, 2007

Grey water

Grey water is a generic term for household water that has been used once already (bath water, washing dish water etc) and is then re-used. I mentioned in my last post that we are using grey water from our kitchen to water the garden during this current dry spell. We only use it to water flowers and bushes and not anything that is edible. The grey water we use from the kitchen is from washing dishes and from washing hands. Both the hand soap and the detergent used for washing the dishes is biodegradable and is from the firm Sodasan which manufactures many environmentally friendly cleaning products.

Over the last year we have started to use a lot more environmentally friendly products and have been surprised by how good the results have been. We now use green washing powder and softener and our clothes are still clean and smell fresh. I believe the early generation of green cleaning products were no so effective, but the ones we have tried from Sodasan and Ecover have worked very well indeed. This I believe has helped to effectively reduce our negative footprint on the environment. Water use and conservation doesn’t make the news too often, but now and then there are articles about fish populations changing sex, drinking water quality, algae blooms etc, and one of the contributing factors to this pollution is household waste water. So I guess every little bit helps, even if it is just a drop in the ocean.

Technorati Tags: , , ,,

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Ms Mac said...

I may have said this before but I really do admire your efforts to conserve water.

May 04, 2007 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so great that you have good products over there. Sad to say that the products I can get here are pretty sad. But I use white vinegar a lot and you know that is very good on so many surfaces.

May 04, 2007 12:52 PM  
Blogger Sylvana said...

I really believe that every little bit helps. I have been thinking about getting the biodegradable dish detergent. I have really liked the Ecover products that I have used. I think this post has made up my mind - why not biodegradeable? I already use baking soda for some of my dishes - like my clay pot cooker, because they are porous and will soak up the detergent making for not so tasty food.

May 07, 2007 3:19 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Ms Mac - Thank you. I try my best :)

Maribeth - Slowly I think attitudes are changing and the consumer is wanting more eco products. Then many more companies will start supplying those products :)

Slyvana - With lots of people doing their little bit, collectively we can make a big difference! :)

May 08, 2007 11:41 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

I was thinking about this the other day, as I was pouring my grapefruitseed oil detergent into the laundry... isn't there some kind of thing you can put in the washer, right with the clothes, that is a soapless alternative? I don't remember what it's called or how it works. It's some kind of disc looking thing.

May 11, 2007 7:19 PM  
Blogger CaliforniaKat said...

Great post! I wish we had more environmentally sound products available in Greece, but the government won't even approve wind power or solar power entrepreneurs and consumers choose products according to price not quality.

I miss California, where we recycled and reused up to 80% in some cities. I've got some tips on my site also, but I'm not sure how many people really pay attention.

June 11, 2007 12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home