tger greenhaddock: Unfucking glaublich

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Unfucking glaublich

Last week we visited the local Deutsche Telekom shop in Marburg. The purpose of the visit was once again to apply for a DSL internet connection. Once again I was told that due to technical reasons DSL at our house was not possible, so I politely told the woman that she was talking bullshit (I work in the Telecoms industry) and informed her that true reason was simply a matter of money. DT need to install more equipment and are not prepared to do it.

I then impolitely told her what I thought of DT. The company is bleeding customers and ultimately she would lose her job if DT didn’t provide for its customers. I then asked to see her manager. She told me he was on holiday for 2 weeks, but I could smell the farmyard, so I told her I would stand in front of her desk for the next 2 weeks. Even though I was obviously lying she looked quite worried.

I had my fun, and the news that we will never have DSL was not exactly world shattering. I had figured this out long ago. But maybe if the DT lady was smart enough she my have glimpsed the future, for the following day I read in the paper that DT would be slimming down their workforce again. Perhaps I did not further Anglo-German relations today, but who won the war anyway! (Twice infact!)

Technorati Tags: , ,

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ich kenne das DSL Problem aus eigener Erfahrung. DT will auch in unserer Gegend nichts inverstieren. Ich habe zwar einen lokalen Anbieter gefunden, der mit einer etwas anderen Technik einen gaaaaanz langsamen DSL Anschluss anbietet, aber ich ärgere mich jedesmal, wenn ich wieder DSL Werbung von der DT im Briefkasten habe.

July 05, 2007 12:13 PM  
Blogger swenglishexpat said...

I know exactly what you are talking about! We had the same message from DT, so we had to make do with ARCOR, despite their not-so-favourable reputation. It has been fine with just one cut-off period. Fast download and slow upload, but I can at least be online continuously and use the other two lines for phone calls simultaneously. Good on you for telling the DT lady a truth or two!

July 05, 2007 3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is Grrrrr!

July 05, 2007 3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We use ARCOR too. There a bunch of stinkers when it comes to transferring an existing account. We'd like to try cable once/if it's available.

Give DT hell!

July 05, 2007 8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I think I'd have had a melt down. Don't they realize it is in their best interest and there's money to be made, big money, if they invest in getting DSL, in the homes? That's just bad business, you know as well as I do. Yes, I am quite sure it would be a significant investment but they must not be thinking of the grand scheme of things, huh? Things and scenario's such as that are more than frustrating. I am sure it is this type of affair which causes people to go Postal. Don't you agree?

July 05, 2007 10:27 PM  
Blogger Bill Graber said...

I did that at our local cable company once... the girl kept telling me she couldn't help me and that I couldn't talk to her boss... so I refuse to go away till I got some satisfaction even though the line of people behind me was out the door

July 05, 2007 10:27 PM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

I do love your little reminder to the Germans of who won the war.

;-)

July 06, 2007 12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...with the help of thousands from the British colonies, with hundreds of thousands more Canadians, Americans, Kiwis, Aussies, etc. Please don't forget you didn't do it alone, as the Americans did in that movie Saving Private Ryan.

July 08, 2007 2:51 PM  
Blogger Beaman said...

I remember when I tried to get internet connection in my flat in Berlin. It was the biggest hassle I faced the whole time I was there, except dealing with my nightmarish landlady that is. In the end I managed to get them to come and install something or other, and eventually to connect me up. Cancelling my internet 14 months later was a farce involving numerous letters backwards and forwards confirming my request.

July 16, 2007 5:54 PM  
Blogger Blueyes said...

You know I think they are trained to say their bosses are out of town or away or something just so they don't have to deal with the customers. Good for you telling the girl what you thought but it sort of sounds like some of the companies here too. They don't want to pay to have their resources extended or upgraded and we suffer with shitty service, high prices and no where else to turn.

July 17, 2007 1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home