tger greenhaddock: Wind damage

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Wind damage

The weather of late in Marburg has been rather wet and on occasion quite windy. But at least it hasn’t been as bad as in the UK were flooding has caused serious damage and some deaths. But it has taken its toll on my garden. The lawn has a serious case of red death this year caused by the wet and humid conditions, and some very windy conditions a few day ago ripped off a truss from one of my Russian Plum Yellow Tomatoes (see photo). These plants are growing really well and are setting staggering amounts of fruit. The trusses on the plants are going to need some serious support soon.

At present the blueberries and blackcurrants are ripe, and we have eaten the first of the Red Onions. The Sweet Peppers are setting fruit, the Aubergines (Eggplant) are in flower, and we should be eating our first home grown cucumbers of the summer within the next couple of days.

It would be good for the weather to become a bit drier for a while as the hedge needs cutting, the grass needs cutting and new flower beds need to be prepared. But at least our water tank is full

Technorati Tags: , ,

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My garden won't be producing anything for another month. Next year I plan to start my seedlings in early April.
My tomatoes, which I am doing in pots on my patio, are really doing well.

June 28, 2007 12:53 PM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I know exactly what you mean. If only we has a short dry spell to be able to get to the gardening. One can almost watch - between the rain gushes, that is - how things grow! We have a corn field nearby, and it must have grown over a foot and a half since Monday!

June 28, 2007 5:39 PM  
Blogger Bill Graber said...

I'm getting 'maters' as well... Its salsa time!

June 28, 2007 6:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've heard the weather isn't so nice also... But what is funny is that we haven't even had any sign of summer yet...

June 28, 2007 9:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks for the well wishes too!

June 28, 2007 9:47 PM  
Blogger Shammickite said...

You look so sad, holding your broken toamto branches and wishing that they could be of some use. Lot's of fruit on them too. Bummer.... as they say here in N America, but I never say that, it's far too rude.
Perhaps a nice plate of fried green tomatoes? Or get Mrs H to make green tomato chutney?

June 29, 2007 4:54 AM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Sorry about all the damage. Sounds terrible.

Also, I finally got around to the 8's tag. You can see it on http://greeninventionscentral.blogspot.com (thanks for thinking of me)

June 29, 2007 5:49 PM  
Blogger swenglishexpat said...

Seems you've had a tough time. What's happened to the weather? Summer in April, April weather in May and tropical kind of April weather in June!? The only good thing about it for me was that it helped to rinse a little after I had used a power washer on the patio, walls etc. What is your ecoooo foot print?

June 29, 2007 6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss growing tomatoes. It's virtually the only thing I ever grew. I'm the house plant type. It looks like a forest in the upper portion of the house here. I keep making more and more plants. Nothing is more rewarding than a green thumb, eh?

July 02, 2007 12:54 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Maribeth - getting the timing right for seedlings is not always easy. I tend to plant mine too early sometimes! :)

CS - This rain is definitely making things grow, but it would be nice to have some sun from time to time as well! :)

Surfmom - It'll be a while before my toms are ripe :)

ET - Yep the weather is getting weirder all the time! :)

Ex-Shammickite - I was a bit annoyed about the truss breaking off, but I got over it. There are still a lot of toms to come! :)

LL.Barkat - Your 8 things were really interesting and very enviromentally friendly! :)

Swenglishexpat - The weather has certainly been different this year. Apparently the Gulf stream has slowed down somewhat, which is not good news for Europe.

Babs - Your right, its great when growing stuff works out. Funnily enough I'm not so good with house plants! :)

July 02, 2007 10:52 AM  
Blogger christina said...

LOL! You look very cranky in that picture. Your poor tomatoes. Our garden is just a soggy mess right now, partially flattened from the rain and wind and full of weeds.

July 04, 2007 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home