tger greenhaddock: Tagged and released

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Tagged and released

I was tagged by Beaman a few days ago for a meme. I’m not really a meme person, but I thought I would give it ago. Beaman added a twist to his meme by asking his readers to pose questions and then he would reply with the answers. I thought about doing the same, but in the end opted for the original version.

Rules: Each person posts the rules before their list, then they list 8 things about themselves. At the end of the post, that person tags and links to 8 other people; then visits those people’s sites and comments, letting them know that they have been tagged, and to come read the post, so they know what they have to do.

  1. If I drink vodka I lose my shoes. This has happened on several occasions, so I have subsequently stopped drinking vodka.
  2. Many years ago I broke an international trade embargo and bought a boat from South Africa. This was during the years I worked and lived on Ascension Island and I went fishing most weekends, catching mainly Tuna, Wahoo and the occasional Sailfish.
  3. I have dived several times with sharks. I have great respect for these hunters of the ocean. Scuba diving was my greatest passion in life for a lot of years. I had a lot of fun, but I was also in a few dodgy situations that could have cost me my life.
  4. I have been locked out of hotels rooms in the middle of the night a couple of times. Once with underwear, and once without. It’s a long walk to reception to get a spare key when you are stark bollock naked.
  5. My great grandfather was born in Georgia in the USA, and emmigrated to the UK. This was deemed unusual at the time as most people were emigrating the other way.
  6. I was expelled from the 6th Form at school for disruptive behaviour. To the dismay of the Head of the 6th Form I was allowed to continue with my A level education when I promised the Head Master that I would change my attitude and work hard for the remainder of the year. I was of course lying.
  7. I am prepared to kill what I eat. I have over the years slaughtered Sheep, Pigs and shot the occasional rabbit. Nowadays I still eat meat, but not as much as what I used to.
  8. When I was 5 years old, there was a mix up between my mother and a neighbour about who should pick me up from school. When nobody turned up I decided to walk home. A man helped me cross the main road. He didn’t let go of my hand and started to take me on a different route. I realised something was wrong, escaped his grip and ran home like the wind. Later I described him to the Police and he was arrested a couple of months later, but only after sexually assaulting another child.
In the spirit of memes or what ever, I now tag - Island Girl, Surfermom, Rooks Nest, Seedlings in Stone, My Thailand Diary, Fruits of my Mind, CanadianSwiss & Chanceless

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

Wow. I am truly amazed at some of these (and laughed heartily at others). It makes me glad I know you.

And thanks too for the tag... I'll get to it next week (am very busy this week with a wedding).

June 21, 2007 2:35 PM  
Blogger Neil @ DNALogic said...

"It is a long walk to reception when you're stark bollock naked."

Been there, done that. But not, I'd like to point out to other readers, at the same time as Mr. Haddock.

June 21, 2007 4:18 PM  
Blogger Bill Graber said...

Ok I have another one of these that i have been putting off so i will combine them in a post... but right now I'm out of town so look to Saturday for my post

June 21, 2007 4:59 PM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I'll do it and let you know when it's up, but it might take me a few days... Too many secrets, you know ;)

Uhm. Did #1 somehow have an effect on #4??

June 21, 2007 6:59 PM  
Blogger Beaman said...

Do you mind if I ask why you were outside a hotel room, naked, in the middle of the night?

Was that a vodka night?

June 21, 2007 8:14 PM  
Blogger Shammickite said...

Ohhh I wus tagged!
I'll be doing your meme in a few days, gotta take some time to decide how many of my deep dark secrets are publishable. Young people under the age of consent may read it.
You're prepared to kill what you eat? In that case, you should be glad that your cats bring home all that extra protein....

June 22, 2007 3:37 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

I love number 6 because I found myself in much the same situ. Except that I wasn't being disruptive, merely stopped going to class and was pretty much asked to leave rather than being expelled. But other than that, the same, you know.

Also- what a narrow escape from number 8. Phew!

June 22, 2007 9:13 AM  
Blogger Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Number 8 is just, wow, but to be able to say that I sort of, kind of know someone who broke an international trade embargo? Well that's just priceless. Thanks for sharing :)

June 22, 2007 6:42 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Okay, you said you weren't a meme kinda guy... but I loved your "tag" post... so much... I want MORE!

The Rules: One: Each player starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves. Two: People who are tagged need to write their own blog entry about their eight things and post these rules. Three: at the end of your entry, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names/pseudonyms/blogs. Four: Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.

June 23, 2007 1:59 AM  
Blogger Christina | AmiExpat.com said...

Wow, really great/interesting facts. Number 4 is hilarious and that number 8 sure was a lucky escape. One of the 4th grade teachers in my elementary school got fired for paying a little too much attention to the boys in class. I don't remember the exact details anymore.

June 23, 2007 8:58 AM  
Blogger C said...

#8 is horribly frightening. But #1 makes me laugh! ^_^ Did you try the Mr. Bean thing for #4? (swipe a "private" sign to hold in frong and an "exit" sign to hold in back) ^_^

June 24, 2007 10:21 PM  
Blogger C said...

front, not frong :-P

June 24, 2007 10:22 PM  
Blogger swenglishexpat said...

Thanks Haddock, I've justed posted my 8 curiosities. Difficult to keep short!

June 25, 2007 7:11 PM  
Blogger swenglishexpat said...

Sorry for being so short before, had to go out for a meal. Re #4, of course you could not carry any key, you had nowhere to put it, had you? Or was it the other way around? ;) I agree with CanadianSwiss, was there a link with #1? As for #8, sadly it is not a modern phenomenon, we just hear so much more about these days through various media. Thanks again for the tag.

June 25, 2007 11:25 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

LL Barkat - I'm glad to know you as well :)

Inactualfact - Glad to know I'm not the only one. Great to see you back blogging again! :)

Surfmom - I see you have been multiple tagged! :)

CS - Alcohol intake did indeed figure greatly in #4 :)

Beaman - Most hotel rooms have the door to the hallway and the bathroom close together. In the middle of the night whilst under the influence and needing the loo I have gone through the wrong door! - a later remedy was to leave the light on in the bathroom! :)

Ex-shammickite - I'll be looking forward to those dark secrets! :)

Ms Mac - I guess you were a naughty child as well then! Much more fun than being a goody two shoes! :)

Sognatrice - Thanks for stopping by! :)

Jody - I may have to to another meme sometime :)

Christina - #8 really was a lucky escape. However I never really understood it until I was much older.

Candace - In the totally naked lockout, I held my head high and tried to walk as calm as I could to reception. A hotel employee finally brought me a towel :)

Swenglish - #4 was related to drinking, but probably not vodka as I didn't lose my shoes! :)

June 27, 2007 12:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I almost bathed by keyboard with a gulp of coffee on the first one. It brought back a memory of a vodka-filled night, where a friend and I ended up sleeping on the couches of the party host rather than try to get our drunk butts home safely. I was awoken at 4 a.m. by an equally vodka-drunken crasher who stood over my makeshift bed, shaking my shoulder and bending down to look into my blurry eyes and say "Oh no, can you help me ... I lost my shoes ..." At first I had no clue where I was. Then I thought I was seeing a ghost. By the time my muddled head put it all together the poor guy had given up on me and trudged upstairs, into the bedroom of our host, and gave him the same shoeless tale of woe. All I heard before my own drunk snoozes recaptured me was the host saying "Dude ...getoudda my room ..." We found his shoes the next day, safe in the back of his truck where he'd thrown them to keep from losing them!

June 28, 2007 2:48 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Pam - Perhaps its a generic vodka thing, whereby we try to save our shoes when shitfaced! :)

July 02, 2007 4:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! Some of these were very funny and a bit surprising.

July 16, 2007 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home