tger greenhaddock: The idyllic coin

Friday, December 07, 2007

The idyllic coin

I've lived in the Marburg area of Germany for over 10 years now and I really like it here. One of the things I like is that the area is very rural. Lots of countryside and lots of trees. Another aspect that I like is the attitude of Marburg to the environment. Many buses run on natural gas, and there are many private vehicles that run on bio-diesel or gas. One of my neighbours has an all electric scooter which he charges up from the PV solar on his roof. The powers that be in Marburg also want to make it the first city in Germany to require all new buildings to have solar included on the roof. This is I think is an excellent idea.

Of course there are always two sides to every idyllic coin, and this week the new virus lab opened up in Marburg. Here scientists will work on some of the most deadly virus known to man, including Ebola. Interestingly enough if you Google Marburg you will find out just as much about the Marburg virus (and it’s pretty damn dangerous) as you will about the University city. In fact the virus is named after the city after an outbreak of the virus here in 1967.

So if we have an ever have a bad earthquake here I just hope that the prevailing westerly wind are blowing, as I live north of the lab. But I guess it must be safer than living close to a nuclear plant. Over the years I have worked and lived in a few places around the world, all had their good and bad sides. Here I have settled and I'm glad to call Marburg my home.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Maribeth said...

I think that no matter where you are in the world there are drawbacks of some kind. The most important thing is to be happy where you are.

December 08, 2007 2:05 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

I stay in Dillenburg every time I go to Germany, and we always visit Marburg. (Love that castle there!) I love it too, in spite of the virus!

Carol

December 08, 2007 8:21 AM  
Blogger Mike B said...

You can buy some plastic sheeting and duct tape ... if it's good enough for US Homeland Security, it must be good enough here too, right? Well, maybe it will just make you feel better because you did something.

December 08, 2007 9:43 AM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I'm with Maribeth. There is always something that will bother you where ever you live. But I see that you've found home, and that's good.

Have a nice weekend!

December 08, 2007 4:58 PM  
Blogger Shammickite said...

Glad to know that you're happy in your new surroundings. A little different from North Devon.
A question... did you know how to speak Gernam before you went to live in Germany?

December 09, 2007 6:38 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Maribeth - I agree with you entirely! :)

Carol - I really like Marburg a lot. Unfortunately the only part of Dillenburg I have seen is when I pass through it on the way to the autobahn.

Mike - I might just give that a try! :)

CS - Finding home is always important! :)

December 09, 2007 6:39 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Ex.Shammickite - Before I moved to Germany the only German I knew was 'Achtung Spitfire!' :)

December 10, 2007 8:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think you live in a great home! And it sounds like an incredible area to live in.

December 10, 2007 2:53 PM  
Blogger swenglishexpat said...

Sounds like a lovely place to live. There are dangers or downsides everywhere, and I'd rather live with a virus lab next to me than in a quake area!

December 12, 2007 6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home