tger greenhaddock: The tram nutter

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

The tram nutter

This current shift cycle of nights has been a bit of a bugger. Too much work and too much stress. So this morning when I left work my brain was on autopilot. I entered the tram which takes me to the train station and I smelt cigarette smoke. When I looked around it was obvious that everyone was trying very hard not to look at a big bloke in his late fifties with a very large beard, who was holding a lit fag.

Without even thinking about it I made eye contact, then looked at his ciggie, and then shook my head. He said something I didn't quite catch (as I had Mötorhead playing rather loudly on my mp3 player), so I told him its not allowed to smoke on the tram. It was about this point I realised he was a nutter, as he then kept on going on about losing his rucksack and other stuff I didn't understand. I told him not to worry about it, but at the next stop he got off and in doing so wished me a safe journey home (not sure how he knew I was going home and not to work). He then just stood in the road, and I had the terrible feeling that I had just thrown him off the tram. I really felt quite guilty about it, as, after all he was a harmless nutter who just seemed to have lost his rucksack and was probably having a smoke to calm himself down.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Maribeth said...

Poor guy. Although I hate smoking and would probably have given him the evil eye.
Hope he found his sack and got home

December 05, 2007 12:53 AM  
Blogger J said...

I would have done the same - I hate smoke too.

December 05, 2007 7:15 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

What about the tram driver though, she/he should have said something. Too often the smoking thing is left up to other passengers to deal with.

You're brave though, you confront people quite a bit. I'd be scared of getting on a train/tram with you on it! ;-)

December 05, 2007 7:33 AM  
Blogger bigbikerbob said...

Hi, I worked with the mentally handicapped for 16 years, I think he was so preoccupied he wouldn't realise he was even smoking, when you said something he probably thought you a figure of authority and realised he shouldn't do it.

December 07, 2007 1:41 AM  
Blogger Mike B said...

The nutters here don't seem as violent as in other places like New York and London. Must be life in a small town.

December 08, 2007 9:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like something I go through daily too.

December 10, 2007 2:56 PM  
Blogger Beaman said...

You are becoming very German Haddock. ;) Ve must keep to zee rules or you vill be shot!

December 10, 2007 11:46 PM  
Blogger swenglishexpat said...

Did all the others know he was a nutter? At least you showed some courage! Don't feel sorry about it. Well done!

December 12, 2007 6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home