tger greenhaddock: When the north wind blows

Saturday, November 17, 2007

When the north wind blows

The first signs of winter are apon us - minus temperatures at night and the first snow flurries have already happened. Technically winter doesn’t start until the 21st December, but when I see the Cranes flying south for winter it heralds the start of winter for me. During the past couple of weeks I have made the garden ready for winter. The grass has been mown and fertilised, dead plants cut back and the patio furniture has retired to the cellar for the winter months.

I have recently had by blood rechecked because of my thyroid condition, and all appears as well as it can be. Cholesterol and a few other things are border line, but since I developed a dodgy thyroid this seems to be normal. I exercise, hardly eat meat, and have a low fat diet. Not much else I can do really. Since the weather has got colder I have restarted going to the gym and have found it not as hard work as I thought it would be, considering my last visit was 5 months ago. I guess playing a bit of football and going jogging over the summer has really kept me in shape.

Well the advantage of my personal winter starting early, is that spring will come early as well. The Cranes will be back overhead in February, and I can’t wait to see them, as spring is without doubt my favourite time of the year. It’s like a rebirth.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

It's been pretty cold here, too. I guess the winter is really on it's way. I'm just hoping for a bit of snow, and not only in the mountains :)

November 17, 2007 10:51 AM  
Blogger bigbikerbob said...

Hi, We here in Devon have just had our first frosts (we dont get many) so winter is really with us. I admire your planning and getting on top of the garden already, most of mine is still in the threatening to do stage.

November 18, 2007 11:10 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

it's getting colder here as well. snow is all around us, just not on the ground yet... later I hope.

great you are working out!

November 19, 2007 3:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,Mr. Haddock, I looked and listend for the cranes,but wasn't lucky ... For me, it's fantastic, too, even just to hear them, like a sound of another world ...

November 19, 2007 9:59 AM  
Blogger swenglishexpat said...

Now you have given me a really bad conscience; I must do the garden this week and get my running shoes on more often. Thanks! ;-)

November 19, 2007 4:24 PM  
Blogger Eric Valentine said...

Just popped in for a peek, I saw the link over at Swens place when he meme'd me, I'm an Englishman living Canda.. :)

Nice place you have.

November 21, 2007 3:31 AM  
Blogger swenglishexpat said...

Hi, just dropping by to say that I have “roared” you. Visit my blog to find out what I am talking about. Roooaaar!

November 22, 2007 6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home