tger greenhaddock: Happy Faces

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Happy Faces

On Saturday the Juniorette had another swim meet. This time it was held in Darmstadt and she was swimming with her partially sighted training team mates in the Hessische & Thüringische Schwimm- Meisterschaften 2007 for disabled swimmers. The Juniorette was the only non disabled swimmer at the meet. She loved travelling there on the team bus and had a really great day. She improved her times over 25m & 50m breaststroke and competed for the first time in the 100m event.

The competitors consisted of physically and mentally disabled swimmers and everyone was overcoming some sort of challenge to swim in the heats. For me the highlight of the day was the medal ceremony. I don’t believe I have ever seen so many truly happy and joyous faces in my life. This was the first swim meet I have ever attended and it was a very relaxed event. The Juniorettes swim team felt like an extended family, but Mrs H did point out that the non disabled swim meet she attended a few weeks ago was a lot more manic.

The Juniorette really enjoyed herself and the organisers even arranged a certificate and a medal for her, so she wouldn’t feel left out.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Maribeth said...

How wonderful for her. Not only is she learning all about swimming, but she is learning about the differences in people too. My brother was handicapped and I remember so much how the kids taunted him. It sounds like Juniorette will be a defender of those children as she grows!

October 30, 2007 1:39 PM  
Blogger bigbikerbob said...

Hi, Its nice to see kids interacting with other kids that are not quite the same as them,it sounds like she enjoys her swimming so much, loads of kids these days do next to no exercise.By the way were home now for the next 4 months so will be blogging loads of the photo's we took now I have time.

October 31, 2007 2:04 PM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I think it's just great for Juniorette to have and take on the opportunity of being in such a team. You and Mrs. H. must be very proud of her!

Thank goodness for families like you that transfer such values to their children!

October 31, 2007 6:56 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

I just like being at pools. The moist air, the giggles of kids. Splashes.

November 02, 2007 4:21 PM  
Blogger EuroTrippen said...

The Juniorette has a busier social calendar than most adults I know!

November 04, 2007 12:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yeah!!! That is so cool. I'm very happy for Juniorette. She is becoming a regular swimmer these days.

I go to my first of the season on Nov 17th. I'm swimming 200m br, 50br, 100IM and 50...

and I'm tagging you for a meme!

November 05, 2007 12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home