tger greenhaddock: Getting naked

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Getting naked

We’ve been back from our break in the UK for just over a week, and last weekend we went to the home town of Mrs H which is situated in the Odenwald to celebrate the birthday of our nephew Boy Blue. With family members we went to the Miramar fun swimming pool complex near Weinheim. The kids had a lot of fun on the various slides and in the wave pool, whilst the adults mainly relaxed and chatted. Mrs H and I visited the sauna which was pretty big, with 4 saunas inside and various ones scattered around outside. There were also steam rooms, ice rooms and whirlpools. There’s nothing quite like getting naked with a couple of hundred Germans.

The first few times I ever visited saunas I felt a bit freaky, but once overcoming a church upbringing and old fashioned British values I discovered that the sauna is not only good for your body, but its very good for the soul, so now that winter is approaching we will be visiting the sauna more often.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey M :)glad that you, the missus and the sprout got back safe from your holiday.

You're a brave man (the naked in front of 200 germans). I never quite got into the spirit of exposing myself in public. Must be that British Convent Girls School, thing.

October 23, 2007 11:52 AM  
Blogger Maribeth said...

I know how you felt. The first time I "got naked" I felt like everyone was critiquing my body. After a while I realized that no one was even noticing another middle aged Haus Frau!

October 23, 2007 3:38 PM  
Blogger Martina said...

I *thought* I recognized you from your profile picture - that was you with the green towel, right ;-)

October 23, 2007 8:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, I just can't do it! Not only do I hate sweating, but I just cannot get over the naked factor.

October 23, 2007 11:59 PM  
Blogger vailian said...

I am not good at sweating either, and still don't know the etiquette of the Nude. Are you supposed to look, or Pointedly Not Look?
And what is the U (as opposed to non-U) response when the young lady crawls over your face, do you compliment her on the unusual piercing or not?
But I could bear it I suppose except for the obligatory plunge into the ice cold tub afterwards, which my girlfriend insists on.

October 24, 2007 12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a Finish girlfriend & I therefore seem to spend half my life in a sauna. Like Mr Haddock & being British, at first I found the prospect of being naked in front of strangers a bit daunting but now I think nothing of it but I think being hung like a donkey helps.

October 24, 2007 11:37 AM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I love saunas and we should do much more of it. The exposure at first was a bit - well, uncomfortable. But today, no problem. And to Vailian's question - if I may - you can look, but staring will just make you look a bit funny. You know... "Oh, a first time in a sauna?" look. Oh... And women usually don't crawl all over you... unless it's a private sauna and the girl is your gilfriend :)

October 24, 2007 7:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL - yes P was a bit taken back by this. I don't think he'd feel comfortable for a while. I'm itching to get back to my winter ritual while I was in Switzerland - it's just so relaxing and a lot of fun!

October 28, 2007 10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My gym has a nice sauna and I visite the sauna twice a week. No better place to relax after work out (and after work, too).

October 29, 2007 3:28 PM  
Blogger swenglishexpat said...

If it gets too crowded, just use your birch twig to create some space, or is it just us Nordic types who use them? ;-) Seriously, it is very soothing and relaxing; you feel very refreshed on both the inside and outside afterwards. Did you know that 'sauna' is a Finnish word? They are the real masters, I believe.

October 29, 2007 9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss that :)
Especially at this time of the year!

October 30, 2007 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home