tger greenhaddock: The Amber Queen

Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Amber Queen

The rose bed that I planted a couple of months ago is coming along nicely. I planted 3 different sorts, a red Rose (Montana), a yellow rose (Friesia) and an amber rose (Amber Queen – see above photo). They all should grow to an approx height of 80cm but wont reach that height this season. We chose rose types that are hardy and relatively disease resistant and so far we haven’t had any problems.

I am currently extending the Juniorettes veggie bed and plan to plant a bit more hedging in the Autumn. Vegetable wise we are enjoying the first of the ripe sweet peppers and aubergines, as well as having stacks of cucumbers. The tomatoes this season have not been as successful as other years due to the crap weather we have had this summer. But it’s all swings and roundabouts as I haven’t had to water the garden so often.

The Juniorette starts back to school tomorrow. She is looking forward to it, but she will have problems getting up early in the morning again. The footy season has kicked off again here in Germany. Unfortunately Werder Bremen have not made a good start, but its early days yet, and yesterday we went to watch a Frauen Fussball match. Local team RSV Rossdorf beat FC Mittelbruchen 6-0 in the Hessen Oberliga. It was a good game and we very much enjoyed it.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Yeah, the weather this summer certainly wasn't what was forecasted at the beginning of the year. Lovely roses you grew there :)

August 19, 2007 11:16 AM  
Blogger Maribeth said...

This has been a drier summer for us and so my garden has done a bit better, although no eggplant at all! I have, however, made two batches of Moon Glow Pickles. They are the best!

August 19, 2007 1:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love those roses... Our garden consists of a few pots and 2 hanging plants and a virtual rain forest outside..

I can't believe juniorette is already starting school again.

How long of a break did they get?

I'm thinking of course it is a lot less than you get here in Canada..

August 19, 2007 6:25 PM  
Blogger Shammickite said...

It seems that you have had too much rain and we have had not enough! I have cut my grass only twice since June, and the last time it was a matter of cutting weeds as the grass is all brown and crunchy!
However, my tomatoes are doing well, I planted them right in last year's compost pile and have watered them faithfully. And they are DELICIOUS!

August 20, 2007 4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've lost your email address

nob from copthorne

August 20, 2007 7:30 PM  
Blogger Beaman said...

4-0 at home. Ouch. I keep tabs on Hertha's performance but must admit they are a rather dull team.

August 21, 2007 12:43 AM  
Blogger vailian said...

Your garden looks splendid! I have a nice roof garden, but it died an excrutiating slow death while I was away last month. I am watering desperately now but it just revives the weeds. Have resigned myself to having a weed garden.

August 21, 2007 9:43 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

CS - The Amber Queen was rose of the year a few years back :)

Maribeth - We could have swapped waether. You need the rain and we need the sun! :)

ET - The summer break here in the Hessen area this year was from 9th July to 19th August this year which is 6 weeks. Next years summer break starts in June! :)

Ex-Shammickite - Glad you are being so succesful with your Toms. Its been a terrible year for Tomatoes here.

Anon - I mailed you last night! :)

Beaman - It was not good going down 4-0 to Bayern, but it wasn't totally unexpected either!

Vallian - Weeds always seem to grow faster and better than the plants we would like to grow! :)

August 21, 2007 12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see one of your roses, it really looks very healthy. Mr. Blue didn't want to see Werder loosing against Bayern, so we drove to the Schliffkopf instaed. And he was right! This evening, you are again in the privileged situation to keep your fingers crossed for both, England and Germany!

August 22, 2007 9:26 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Deepblue - I'm sure you all had a wonderful time at the Schliffkopf. I hope the weather was good.
I hope I am home in time from work tonight to see the start of the match. Both teams are hit by injuries, but I think Germany will win (even without Frings!)

August 22, 2007 3:26 PM  
Blogger C said...

That's gorgeous! I like your lavender, too. :)

I'm kind of afraid I'll kill roses if I buy them. My friend gave me some that she dug up and didn't want to keep. They're doing well, but they're very simple (only one layer of petals if that makes any sense.) Do the fancy ones need anything special?

August 23, 2007 4:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home