tger greenhaddock: Blooming marvelous

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Blooming marvelous

With the recent hot weather the garden has been going great guns. We have had masses of strawberries (Mrs H makes a mean strawberry flan), we have just started picking the peas and the tomatoes are starting to set. The aubergines, bell peppers, zucchini (see photo), cucumbers and chilli’s are all in flower. Mrs H seems to think that 12 chilli plants (consisting of 3 varieties) is a bit excessive, seeing how we had too many chilli’s from 2 plants last year. I personally believe you can never have too many chilli’s. Besides my brother in the UK has almost 20 plants going this year!

Last year I had a bit of a failure with the cucumbers, but this year I have grown everything from seed, so I am hoping my home grown cucumbers will succeed.
Fruit wise, the blackcurrants are ripening well as are the gooseberries and the first of the blueberries are starting to turn blue. Later in the year if I have time I will create a new flower bed, mainly of perennials to attract more bees and butterflies to the garden.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Maribeth said...

Sounds like your garden is growing beautifully! Mine is doing well, although next year, (yes I am already planning that garden!) I will be making major changes.
When is your major harvest time? Ours is in mid August.

July 04, 2006 1:42 PM  
Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Your garden sounds wonderful. I will be right over for the fragole (strawberries). Just last week I had a pasta that was filled with zucchini blooms and cheese. I was soooo yummy!

Wishing you and your family a very happy fourth of July!

Cyn

July 04, 2006 2:57 PM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Now I miss my grandma's garden!! But you're right, there's NO SUCH THING as too little chilli! :)

July 04, 2006 8:22 PM  
Blogger Tati said...

Right. You cannot have too many chillies! Besides, once you've dried them in the fall, they keep for ages :-)

July 05, 2006 7:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ok Haddock, I have a gardening question for you: Last year I had a beautiful cyclamen which died off at the end of the summer. I've been keeping it in a dark cupboard in the hope that it will come back this year - am I misguided?

July 05, 2006 11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So nice gardening news, so sad football news ... Hope everything in your garden survived the thunderstorm, or didn't you have one? The birds have eaten our cherries, we were only a few hours too late! Do you have first fruits on the trees?

July 06, 2006 9:47 AM  
Blogger The Dog of Freetown said...

I hate something of a failure with cucumbers last year too. At least three of the blighters went soggy in my fridge. This year I have a new fridge and everything is much better on this front. The brockley keeps freezing though.

July 06, 2006 1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I spent time in Southern France, I found out that the zucchini flowers are actually quite tasty, too - battered and deep-fried. They call it "beignets de fleur de courgette". Here's a recipe (it's for pumpkin flowers, but works just as well with zucchini):
http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/472121140745558/Frittierte-Kuerbisblueten.html

Enjoy!

July 07, 2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah for gardens. Since we don't have one ourselves, I can only go take pictures of the best I see from my eyes.

July 07, 2006 7:55 PM  
Blogger J said...

How's the Juniorette's garden doing?

July 18, 2006 1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home