tger greenhaddock: Back to Monkey Island

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Back to Monkey Island

I guess later today the England football team will be flying home after losing their quarter final match last night to Portugal. It was inevitable that the game went to a penalty shoot out, and as always in a shoot out England lost. Maybe the players don't have the nerve for it. I certainly didn't have the nerve to watch. The stress is much less when hearing the news second hand over the phone than watching it live on TV. Mrs H relayed the news to me when I was on the train on the way home from work. I watched the regular 90 mins at work, and then caught an update at the train station. It was going to penalties again and I didn't want to watch.

Ironically England lost after probably playing their best football of the tournament. But there is a silver lining to every cloud, and that came in the form of France beating Brazil. Zidane played fanatstic. I know I will probably now have to hand in my British passport for my further support of our Gallic neighbours, but I don't care as I have snails in garlic for breakfast. Allez les bleus!

Technorati Tags: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These past games have been certainly a shocker for me. Sorry England lost. I think I will root for Portugal, since they've never own a WC before.

July 02, 2006 1:06 PM  
Blogger Maribeth said...

I'm sorry they lost too! I was watching, which explains my ulcer today!
I'd hate to be the English goal tender. I think he will have to hide in Scotland or something after his dismal performance.
Work? On a Saturday? During the World Cup? Oh the inhumanity!

July 02, 2006 1:10 PM  
Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Ok you lost me on "snails and garlic". ANYTIME of the day sounds bad, but breakfast is the worst! EEEK! Keep in mind that you are talking to a girl who HATES seafood, so what do I know about eating well. To each his own, but I will cheer on France as long as I DON'T have to eat snails! hehheehe

Cyn

July 02, 2006 1:10 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Heza - It's been an interesting world cup, that's for sure. I will be cheering for Germany when they play and for France when they play. If they both meet in the final I will support Germany :)

Maribeth - It's tough working during the world cup, but I was off for most of the group stages! :)

Cynthia - Seafood is probably my favourite type of food! :)

July 02, 2006 5:48 PM  
Blogger Tati said...

I thought about you the whole time I was watching that game - so sorry, really :-(

You are completely right about Zidane - he is just brilliant! I am really sorry that he is leaving football after the World Cup.

July 03, 2006 6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home