tger greenhaddock: It wasn't Agincourt

Monday, June 26, 2006

It wasn't Agincourt

When we arrived in Köln last Friday for the France v Togo World Cup match we had a nice surprise from the Juniorette’s Godparents. They had managed to acquire tickets for the game via EBay as well. We got to the ground 3 hours early to really soak up the pre-match atmosphere. We had a lot of fun and the time really flew by. The Juniorette was really happy and was waving her French flag at every opportunity. The Köln stadium was superb; the fans are really close to the pitch. We were seated in the 10th row and had a really good view.

The game was exciting with France needing to win. It was great to see Henry, Silvestre, Barthez and Vieira in action for France. Togo played well and their fans were excellent. I suspect most were Germans dressed up as Togo fans, but it didn’t matter as they were in major party mood. The Juniorette was well impressed with how many times the Mexican wave went around the stadium, but for me the most impressive thing was the atmosphere. It was unbelievable! – the football weren’t bad either. In the end a 2-0 result was about right. France were the better team, but they are not team they were a few years ago.

For the record. I supported France in this match and wore a painted French flag on my face. I pray that this will not negate my right to British Citizenship and I sincerely hope the Queen will pardon me for my treacherous crimes. God Save the Queen!

Technorati Tags: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger leon's life said...

Mr Haddock - I was watching out for you on the TV, but no luck I didn't catch a glimpse of you !

June 26, 2006 1:29 PM  
Blogger christina said...

I'm sure Her Majesty will forgive you this one small indiscretion if you promise to be a loyal subject from now on.

I usually support whoever is winning. :-)

June 26, 2006 4:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

that sounds like a lot of fun! At least you got to go to a game... Yeah! :)

June 26, 2006 5:29 PM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I think you're safe, if HM the Queen doesn't read your blog, that is ;). Switerland is playing tonight. Let's see what happens.

June 26, 2006 7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope sorry we've voted you off the island your officially a frog hahahahaha

June 27, 2006 12:24 AM  
Blogger Maribeth said...

I'm just not sure, Haddock. One can forgive almost anything, but a love for the French! ;~)
I know Juniorette was cheering for Togo, so since you're with her, I guess we'll overlook it this time! LOL

June 27, 2006 2:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lucky you !!! Thats GREAT you got to go.
Switzerland is out, didn't watch the game, no way will I get out of bed at 2am in the morning to watch football.. still sad they didn't beat Ukraine though...

June 27, 2006 3:22 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Brian Johnson said...

The "Mexican" wave is actually a U.S. invention, first developed by "Crazy George" for a 49ers Super Bowl appearance. Crazy George is an alum of my university, so I know these things. Go, San Jose State!!! :)

June 27, 2006 4:21 AM  
Blogger Tati said...

I am sooooo neidisch :-)

June 27, 2006 7:43 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Leons Life - We can be seen if you freeze frame 18 mins 11 secs into the game. But you have to know where to look! :)

Christina - I promise to a be a loyal subject! :)

Expat - We applied fot lots of games but only got tickets for one. I guess we were lucky :)

Canadianswiss - I hope the Queen doesn't read this! Sorry about Switzerland; I was hoping they would get through :(

Matt - Ribbett! As long as I don't have to wear the beret, stripey T-shirt and eat garlic all day! :)

Maribeth - Yep its a terrible crime, but I am glad you can forgive me! :)

Lillian - Sorry to see the Swiss are out. I was cheering for them! :)

Mrs Brian Johnson - I didn't know that, and to think the Mexicans have been getting the credit for all these years! :)

Karen - I had to check with Mrs H what that meant :)

Naked Nerd - You right! We should blame FIFA! :)

June 27, 2006 10:58 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

Oh Mr Haddock. I know your other commenters are letting you off lightly but I'm afraid I can't. Shame on you!!!

I shall telegram Her Majesty post haste. Have your passport ready and be prepared to pay the penalties for your French sympathies!!!

June 27, 2006 12:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey...Looked like a lot of fun. You can defend your support of France as upholding the spirit of the European Union ;-)

June 28, 2006 4:14 PM  
Blogger EuroTrippen said...

I'm telling... and before you know it Sir Paul will arrive on your doorstep to soundly thrash you with the wooden leg of his soon to be ex-wife!

June 29, 2006 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home