tger greenhaddock: Still going strong

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Still going strong

It's now over a month since the Juniorette started 'teaching' the first class of her English course. The course is still going strong, I am not sure how much her 6 friends on the course are learning, but they seem to be having a lot of fun. So far the Juniorette has incorporated songs, games and DVD's into the lessons. She says that it has to be fun else her students would lose interest, and quite right she is as well. When the weather is good the class goes for walks or to the local playground. When its raining it's held inside, and I have to keep out of the way. It's not good for the teachers father to correct the teacher infront of her pupils.

Since the Juniorette had the idea to start an English course, several other kids in the area have started courses ranging from learning to climb trees and learning to speak French. Quite frankly I'm not sure which is the more valuable skill, but I guess nobody escaped a lion by talking French to it!

Technorati Tags: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

What a wonderful daughter you have! You must be really proud. One of these days I would like to start an english course, maybe I could get a few tips from her!

Cyn

May 23, 2006 9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol amen on that lion thing!

that little lady is going to put J and I out of a job ;) You know, you could get the parents to write references for her later. She could totally use this on her resume for later :)

May 23, 2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger Mike B said...

What a cutie. I hope the language-teaching-license police go easy on her for teaching without credentials ;)

You made me wonder why I never see french lion tamers, and then I though about which end of the pair is supposed to surrender to whom and why there would obviously be a paradox there.

May 23, 2006 10:58 AM  
Blogger Maribeth said...

Not only is Juniorette an intelligent and motivated kid, but she is quite the beauty! I bet you are one proud Papa!
I must say, I enjoyed your comment on the french lion tamers.

May 23, 2006 2:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, if Juniorette keeps this up, she might be the catalyst required to revamp an archaic German school system!

She's using the common sense approach to learning a language. And by using Songs, games, DVD's, she’s sending an important signal that some educators might want to sit up and take note of. Juniorette knows what tools kids really use to learn a language. Just tell her not to forget the Comic books.

May 23, 2006 4:17 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Cynthia - I am proud of her and think she is an exceptional child. Of course I am slightly biased! :)

Belinda - Thats a good idea with the references! :)

Mike - If the front door is kicked in late at night by the Jack boot wearing Language teaching police then I guess they must have found my blog! :)

Maribeth - Proud as punch. She is the apple of my eye! :)

Lisa - Funnily enough I used to work for the European Space Agency. The Juniorette takes after Mrs H for looks and after me for sports. For intellectual matters she is a mix of both us :)

Just another - Having fun seems to be the key for learning. Comic books would be a great addition to the language toolset :)

May 23, 2006 7:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

lol - hey haddock knocking on speaking french, ;-) well it can get you somewhere in parts of switzerland and canada... But then again, German can even more... Yes your little tike has got talent... So cool!

May 24, 2006 3:57 AM  
Blogger EuroTrippen said...

Tree climbing is a highly underrated skill...

Ah, to be so focused at such a young age!

May 24, 2006 8:51 AM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I love the tools that Juniorette is using to teach. Keeping your students interested is the only way to make them WANT to learn.

And climbing trees did sometimes help me to escape from my "roaring" brother ;-)

May 25, 2006 2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home