tger greenhaddock: All a buzz about nothing

Sunday, May 14, 2006

All a buzz about nothing

This last week with the wonderful spring weather that we have been having, Mrs H and I have spent a lot of time out in the garden. The Tomatoes and peas were planted out, and the various Paprikas’ (sweet peppers), Aubergines and Chilli plants were re-potted . The grass was cut and lots of little outstanding jobs were completed. In the heat of the afternoon sun we made a start on tiding up the cellar. This will be an ongoing process. Amongst all this we even found time for a visit to the gym. My losing weight plan is still on target. Aim your goals low enough and you’ll always reach them.

Earlier in the week we discovered that bees have made their home in our roof. I’ve found how they got in and the bees seem quite small and of a slight reddish colour. They seem quite harmless, but they don’t like it if you lift the roof tile and wiggle around a bamboo stick for a few seconds. Infact they did become quite pissed off. I decided to retreat and leave them to it.

A couple of days later the Juniorette came down stairs to inform me that she thought there was a Hornet upstairs. Indeed there was, and a queen at that ( if I looked closely I could actually see the crown). I tried taking photos but they were all a bit out of focus (see photo above). I guess Hornets are not known for their photogenic qualities. It tended to move around a bit, and when it took off the sound was something akin to a little helicopter in flight. When it seemed agitated I ushered it out of the window as I know these things can be a bit troublesome. A work mate of mine was hospitalised by a gang of Hornets a few years ago, and I didn’t fancy getting a royal stinging.

If my Mum reads this then 'Happy Mothers Day'. I'm not sure if its Mothers Day in the UK as well today (it hasn't been the same on other years in the UK), but it seems to be everywhere else.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Maribeth said...

Yes, do get rid of the "bug-ers! Dangerous to have them there as they muliply like rabbits!

May 14, 2006 4:56 PM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I'm not sure I'd enjoy someone sticking a "tree" into my house and wobbling it around either ;-) But I agree that you should get rid of them.

May 14, 2006 5:16 PM  
Blogger J said...

How's the Juniorette's garden going?

May 14, 2006 6:47 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Oooh, yes, watch those bees! They can really take over. We had a couple of hornets in the garden and they were REALLY scary.

The UK already had Mother's Day several weeks ago but I can never remember exactly when it is.

May 14, 2006 8:26 PM  
Blogger Tati said...

Nice pic!
Just FYI:
Hornets are relatively peaceful if left alone and are very high up on the list of species threatened with extinction. Thus, they enjoy special environmental protection in Germany and it is punishable by law (with high fines) to destroy or move their nests.

May 15, 2006 6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, concerning bees - if I think on pour Pooh: not so funny, maybe ask at NABU or BUND what to do. We had two hornets here, too, last week and I hope that there's not a nest at the house as it was a few years ago, but I can confirm that they are not aqggresive.

May 15, 2006 11:06 AM  
Blogger Mike B said...

I'd consult an entomologist at Uni Marburg, then perhaps a lawyer, but my preference would to not have them nesting in my house.

May 15, 2006 12:44 PM  
Blogger EuroTrippen said...

death to the queen!

May 15, 2006 4:49 PM  
Blogger Miss Kim said...

**Changing my weight loss strategy to match yours**

May 15, 2006 7:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Haddock, this is where we are different. I would have killed the hornet - not taken its picture.

May 17, 2006 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home