tger greenhaddock: The new telly

Friday, June 30, 2006

The new telly

Last week we returned the crappy Phillips plasma TV back to the Quelle shop and received a full refund. I had already decided on the TV to replace it (Panasonic TH-42PA50E) and we went to Mediamarkt to try and buy one. They only had a showroom one and weren’t prepared to drop the price. So I went home and bought one online and saved myself over €400. It arrived a few days later and we are very happy with it. Mediamarkt advertise themselves as being price competitive and their sales people as being knowledgeable. They are wrong on both counts. After a few hours visiting plasma forums online I knew more about Plasma TV’s than the salesperson we encountered will ever know. Anyway we learnt a few good lessons. If you buy something in Germany and are not happy with it – Take it back. Second for many purchases use shops for browsing and seeing goods up close, and then when you decide, buy the product online. There ends the shopping lesson for today.

Later today is the Germany v Argentina quarter final game in the World Cup. I am at work today so I will watch it here on the wall display. We have TV at work 24x7 but its normally tuned to news channels, but for the World Cup its tuned into football. Hopefully Germany will slaughter the Argies.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad, that you can't see the game on your new tv, hope, everybody at work is enthousiastic at least for the WM! I can't imagine what to do, when the WM is over, we got so used to whatch nice games! Hopefully the Germans will win today (they have to)!

June 30, 2006 11:50 AM  
Blogger Maribeth said...

When I lived in Berlin I took a defective coffee pot back, (it was glass and shattered the first time I filled it) and I had a huge argument with the sales woman at Ka-De-We. Eventually my outrage got me a new pot,but it was a good 30 minute argument.
I have heard good things about the Panasonic Plasma. Everyone says it's the one to get. ENjoy today's matches!

June 30, 2006 1:00 PM  
Blogger Miss Kim said...

Well I guess you could call it a slaughter of sorts!

June 30, 2006 8:53 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Those darn salespersons might know alot - but they are told what to say and not to say. I doubt that he would get away with telling you how crappy their tellie was and keep his job - so he has to make a fool out of you and score the bosses liking. Good thing we have the internet - I would never buy anything that expensive without cheking it out there first.

Well congratulations beating Argentina. I didn't see the game but I looked it up so I could either laugh at or with you - with it seems :)

June 30, 2006 9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on your purchase. This was a good lesson for me. I would've given them the extra money to avoid the wait. I won't do that in future. €400! Wow. I'm glad your t.v. problems are now solved.

June 30, 2006 10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All Phillips products are crappy. I had one that broke down after 3 weeks. I seem to have the best luck with Mitsubishi TVs. I'm on my 4th big screen TV. Went from 42" to 55" to 63" and now 65". It wasn't that they broke down it was just that I wanted BIG! HUGE! GIGANTIC! MORE! MORE! Couldn't be more pleased. My first 36" Mits tube TV that I gave to my brother is still going strong after 15 years. And yes, I shop online for just about everything. I check out the products locally then go online. I hate doing that but if these local retailers would just lower their prices to a competitive level, they'd do much better business. Just bought a Sony HD camcorder online and saved about $500.

June 30, 2006 11:22 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

We've been shopping online that way for years - works our better for us since my husband can't get out when he want to see stuff in the shops. He researches online, I go see the stuff in person if we need to and most of the time we get the better price online. Not always, but a lot of the time.

The other advantage to shopping online is that the store isn't required to take back a purchase unless it's defective. Most do take them back but it's not required. With online purchases you get two weeks to send it back if it's crap.

Glad the new TV is working out!

July 01, 2006 1:04 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Deepblue - I watched some at work, but I had to work as well, which was a bit of a bummer, but fortunately Germany won :)

Maribeth - Panasonic is generally reliable. A friend at work has the smae TV. He has had his foe over a year and has been very happy with it. :)

Traveller One - Germany won, but it wasn't exactly a slaughter! :)

Nan - The Germany game was close and certainly exciting! :)

Elle - Normally I hate waiting as well, and this was a good learning experience for me :)

Val - A 65 inch TV is huge! I bet with HD it looks fantastic. Its funny, but slowly 42 inch is looking small! Shopping online is definitely the way to go for electrical items :)

Dixie - Thanks, thats good info about the return policy for shopping online :)

Matt - The reason that we went with plasma was size and the fact that LCD screens are easier to damage via touch. We have child and have friends visiting with small children. Thus the Plasma seemed the logical choice for us :)

July 01, 2006 8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home