tger greenhaddock: The land of Narnia

Sunday, December 11, 2005

The land of Narnia

I have been taking life easy for the last couple of days. The lull before the storm that is Christmas. I am not looking forward to the drive back to England for Xmas. We are allowing 6 hours to get from Marburg to Calais, and probably slightly less for the Dover to North Devon part. Seeing family and friends will be nice, but the travelling part is a pain in the butt. At least on the ferry I have the steak & kidney pie to look forward to.

Yesterday the Haddock Family went to see Narnia (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe) at the Marburg Cineplex. It truly was a wondrous film. I read all the Narnia books by CS Lewis several times when I was kid, and I was hoping that Disney wasn’t going to murder it. I wasn’t disappointed. The child actors were very good. The film had a very English feel to it, and in line with the books, the storyline was kept simple. The Juniorette thought the movie was fantastic, perhaps a little sad in places, but a happy end brought a joyous smile to her face at the close.

If you get the chance, see this movie, especially if you read the books as a child.

Update - Mark Wells who plays King Edmund the Just of Narnia, towards the end of the film, is also a blogger. Visit his site and have a look at what he is up to.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr Haddock,
Sorry to have abandoned my old URL but needed a host with more flexibility. Sure glad(and impressed) that you found me. Thanx, it means something. Mrs. Curmudgeon is in the hospital suffering from an "undiagnosable" lung malady (as well as the screwed up healthcare system), so we will have to wait on seeing "The Chronicles" which were also big with both of us as kids. I'd love to do the cotswalls (SP??)during the holidays. We spent our honeymoon there at Castle Coombs and have wanted to return since.But for now, from the desert to England- Merry Christmas to the Haddock family.

December 11, 2005 5:04 PM  
Blogger Martin Stickland said...

Hello mate, my two boys want to see this film, I wanted to see Debbie does Dallas in 3D but due to the age limit I guess I better take them to see Narnia instead!

Cheers

December 12, 2005 1:26 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Thanks for the positive review! I also read the Narnia books many times and wondered if it was worth seeing the film. I think my boys would like it.

December 12, 2005 8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The way people are fanatic about Harry Potter, I'm fanatic about the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe series. I also read the whole series repeatedly as a child.

When I saw this was coming out I thought "omg please let this not be some butchered hollywood americanised version".

I have yet to see it but it sounds good from what you say!

We normally don't go to the kino but for this and King Kong we are going to make the exception.

December 12, 2005 8:14 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Dale - Hope Mrs C gets well soon. I tracked your new site down, as I like the stuff you write!
Castle Coombe is a nice place. It's where they filmed the original Dr. Doolittle.

Dawn - Enjoy the movie and a Merry Xmas to you in Canada! :)

Martin - Haven't heard of Debbie does Dallas in a lot of years. I've only heard of the film of course, and not actually see it. It's about American football isn't it ???

Christina - The Juniorette loved it. I am sure your boys would as well.

Belinda - We don't get to the Cinema too often. I was so pleased the film was not butchered. It was weird but during the film I was never really aware I was watching it in German.

December 12, 2005 10:23 PM  
Blogger Rocky said...

Thanks for the movie review, I will have to check it out!

December 12, 2005 10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I worried about what Hollywood would do to it as well. Hope its out here soon, really want to see it !

December 13, 2005 2:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How awesome that this Mark Wells guy bothers to blog about his adventures. To my knowlegde, not many actors do, and it makes for an interesting read. Thanks for the link!

December 13, 2005 3:18 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Rocky, James, & Lillian - Hope you guys enjoy the film.

Lisa - Hope you enoyed Mark's site

Viernach - I've been infected by a meme! - My first I believe. I'll post it in a few days time. Congrats on getting through the semester! :)

December 14, 2005 12:00 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Hiya there, I saw this movie opening weekend and loved it too! The scenary was breathtaking and the children were absolutely adorable!

December 18, 2005 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home