tger greenhaddock: Weird Science

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Weird Science

Dear reader,

Have you ever had one of those moments when you wake up the morning after the night before, and have a slight nagging in the back of your head that something happened last night, but you can't remember it. Well here's the good news. When you have next over indulge of your favourite tipple, if you concentrate hard enough, those lost memories will come flooding back. The bad news is that remembering is not always such a good idea!

Many years ago whilst working on Ascension Island I did several drinking experiments to benefit mankind in general. One of those proved the above. It took a long time to prove as several hurdles needed to be overcome. The biggest of these was actually forgetting that I had remembered in the first place. This was eventually solved by writing my findings down whilst heavily under the influence. Dechyphering the spider scrawl that I had produced for my sober self was rather difficult. Believe me this took many attempts.

So the general outcome of this is that we probably store all memories somewhere in our brain. It's just that when we are blitzed we store them in a different location. We just dont know how to access them when in a sober state. I believe a simular process happens with dreams. Everybody dreams, but a lot of people never remember them, but it is possible to remember dreams that you have never recalled whilst being awake. You just need to know how to access them.

A few years later after my original research a team at a university in Wales also discovered that lost memory due to drinking wasn't really lost at all. But I knew that anyway. I was just to pissed (drunk) to tell anyone.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sylvana said...

Welcome to Blogger! I'm changing my link.

That's an interesting theory on human memory. I think I will do some replications of that experiment to test the validity.

December 28, 2005 4:58 AM  
Blogger Martin Stickland said...

Thought I saw you wave when you drove passed my House, have a great New Years Eve mate and do not drink too much!!!

Bye

December 29, 2005 1:11 AM  
Blogger Rocky said...

Great post. I appreciate your research on heavy drinking and its effects on memory.

Sometimes I tried to discover exactly where that line was that I sometimes cross while drinking. The line of better judgement (the inner voice that's supposed to stop you from making a fool of yourself).

But then I realized I didn't care where the line was, and was many times comfortable being the fool for entertainment purposes. Also, I just wanted more beer. And pretzels.

December 31, 2005 3:14 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Sylvana - Have fun with the validation! :)

Martin - We had a fairly quiet New Years Eve this year

Rocky - Wanting more Beer & Pretzels is a good thing! :)

Cass - I look forward to reading your findings :)

January 04, 2006 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home