tger greenhaddock: Going Home?

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Going Home?

Later tonight we leave Marburg to drive to my home town in England, where I was born and grew up. I left Ilfracombe over 20 years ago and if I am honest I can safely say that I have not missed the place one bit.

But lately I have felt a few pangs for the place. I would definitely never live there again, but I am actually looking forward to seeing the town again. Although I am sure that after a few days of being there the feeling will wear off and I'll be chomping at the bit to get away from the place again.

It'll be good to see the sea again. But too damn cold for fishing or any sort of beach activity. Ilfracombe and North Devon in general can be really beautiful in summer. The rugged coastline and expansive moorland really do catch the eye. But in winter it's all very bleak. Wall to wall greyness, very strong winds and horizontal rain. But then again, it's only a week, and then I will be really going home - back to Marburg :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Rocky said...

Have a safe trip "home." Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

December 23, 2005 6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy your Xmas break by the sea, here we are actually closer to outer space than the coast!

I'd give anything to end up in Cornwall tho' love it no matter the weather.

Guten Rutsch and all that too.

December 23, 2005 7:35 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hope your trip home is fun and relaxing. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

December 24, 2005 3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you and your family are having a wonderful holiday season.

Stay safe and enjoy coming into the new year! :D

December 26, 2005 1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home