tger greenhaddock: Too much of a good thing

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Too much of a good thing

The summer holidays for kids finished last week in Hessen and the Juniorette has just completed here first week back at school. She absolutely loves it which is in stark contrast to when I was at school. I strongly disliked it from day one. I am really happy that she so enjoys it. This year she has 2 mornings where she doesn’t have to attend school until 9am, so she gets to have a lie in. She is pleased about that as she does have problems getting out of bed in the mornings. It must be a gene thing.

We have been picking quite a lot of Aubergines (Eggplant) from the garden lately (see the Juniorette in the picture with a fine specimen) and to be honest the Haddock family are slowly becoming tired of eating this vegetable (note to self – plant less Aubergines next year). Mrs Haddock has been very inventive in the recipes that she has included aubergines, but she is running out of ideas. The last was scrambled egg and aubergines. It looked quite weird but actually tasted pretty good. If anyone has any recipes suggestions I would love to hear them.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Maribeth said...

You probably already bread slices of egglant and then fry them up. That's my favorite.
I also love it cut into chunks and grilled on a charcoal fire. Yum!
The last way I like it is simply sauteed with onions and some fresh basil.
More traditional cooks like it for eggplant parmesian and Moussaka (sp?).
But I bet you already do that too.
My garden next year I plan to plant some eggplant. I just love it.

September 03, 2006 4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm... baked stuffed with hamburger, rice and tomato like stuffed paprika? I'm sorry, I'm not much of a cook. But that is indeed one fine specimen of an Aubergine. The little doll holding it is adorable. :) That must be a gene thing, too.

September 03, 2006 9:02 PM  
Blogger GollyGumDrops said...

Surely you could mince a little into Chilli Chutney!

September 03, 2006 10:00 PM  
Blogger Tati said...

Wow - I didn't realize that you could even grow Aubergines in Germany - I am impressed!

September 04, 2006 7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A really good one is this, you may know it from the greek "Vorspeisenplatte": (sorry for the wrong english:) Aubergine-salad, which is not really a salad, but a mash: shortly roastet, then shortly stewed pieces of Aubergines without skin, mash them with one of your fantastic kitchen machines, but not too much, make it good spicy with lemonjuice, lots of garlic, pepper, a bit vinegar, Olive-oil, parsley (Blattpetersilie). Very good with greek or barbecue food.

September 04, 2006 10:48 AM  
Blogger Nan said...

I love aubergines! I know many vegetarian recipes with them. One of my favourite is to slice them in two and take out the insides - and the mix the insides with red pesto, feta, rice and tofu - and then cheese on top - and bake them. Yummie.

Nice size your veggies have by the way.

September 04, 2006 11:38 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Thanks everyone for the recipes and ideas. They have all been passed onto Mrs H. who has already cooked Moussaka a couple of times. It really reminds us of our holiday to Crete last year :)

September 08, 2006 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home