tger greenhaddock: 45 and still alive!

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

45 and still alive!

We are back from our break in the Black Forest. We had a really good time; I became a year older and promptly became ill. A good start to being 45. I have Bronchitis, but after a visit to the docs I am on antibiotics and am starting to get better. Our base when in the Schwarzwald was in Baden Baden and from there we did various trips and activities which was a lot of fun.

We visited Holiday Park one day which the Juniorette really enjoyed. She proudly went on a few rides on her own, basically Mrs H & I didn’t have the nerve for a couple of rides, and she also rode her first looping rollercoaster. It isn’t the best park in Germany (Europa Park and Phantasialand are better) but it was still worth a visit.


On another day when the weather was quite bad we went to a children’s science museum. This was great fun for the Juniorette and she learned a lot. I also discovered that being in a place with lots of screaming kids when I feel like shit is not really my cup of tea. But I struggled on. During a spell of good weather we hired an electric motor boat on a lake which was relaxing and fun. This was followed by a trip to an adventure climbing attraction. Mrs H stayed on the ground whilst the Juniorette and I climbed around the courses laid out in the trees. I don’t like heights so it was a bit of a test for me. I was a bit wobbly at points but as expected it was a breeze for my daughter.


Our trip culminated with a visit to Hockenheim ring to see Robbie Williams. It was a great show with an estimated 90,000 fans in attendance, ranging from small children to quite old folks. He really is an entertainer and his show rocked. The Juniorette was dead impressed with the amount of ‘naughty words’ that he was using, as well as with the music and show. The only downer on the night was trying to leave the place as the parking was a nightmare. But it was all worth it in the end as it was a great concert.

Tomorrow my Brother, Sister-in-law, and 3 of their kids arrive form England for a week, so a lot of things need to be done today. But first we need to drive up to Gelsenkirchen later today to watch Germany play Sweden in an international soccer friendly. I will enjoy it, but I am sure it would be a lot more enjoyable if I felt better.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Maribeth said...

Oh my dear Haddock, I am so sorry to hear that a weeks holiday with the Juniorette has felled you. At our age, we must remember to stay warm, get plenty of rest, and drink lots of beer. LOL!
Happy Birthday! And may the year ahead be full of good health and lots of happiness!

August 16, 2006 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you enjoyed the match in Gelsenkirchen, espacially the first half was big fun on TV, too. But the Robbie-Williams-Concert in Hockenheim was really the greatest show I ever saw and it was great to meet you there. Hope you're feeling better soon! Hi to the visiting familiy from England, and have a lot of fun together!

August 17, 2006 11:03 AM  
Blogger Tati said...

Get well soon. It's no surprise, really, to get bronchitis in this weather we are having :-(

Sounds like you had a great time in the Schwarzwald!

August 21, 2006 7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home