tger greenhaddock: The Painted Lady

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Painted Lady

A few weeks ago on the Juniorette’s last school day of the summer term she proudly presented me with her school report for her first year. It was a very good report, infact far better than any I ever received. She was a little disappointed that there are no grades for the first year (starts in the second year), and the only blemish on the report was about her temper, but it was mentioned that she is controlling it a lot better. Personally I didn’t see it as a problem. Her temper is slight compared to mine at her age.

She asked me about my reports when I was at school, so we dug through some files containing my old stuff, found them and had a read. It was quite entertaining. Apparently the main themes were lack of concentration, fooling around, not taking anything seriously and only doing enough to get by. Of course I had to inform the Juniorette that I was by far NOT a model student and I shouldn’t be used as a role model. But to balance the picture I told her she should always question authority (teachers), because they are not always right. I think this may be against the German way of things!

This summer has been fantastic with respect to the amount of butterflies visiting the garden. Identification has proved tricky at times, with photographic verification proving to be best. So above is a picture of the latest verification – The Painted Lady

Technorati Tags: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger PapaScott said...

I told her she should always question authority (teachers), because they are not always right. I think this may be against the German way of things!

I'm hoping that Christopher will pick that up as well. Unfortunately he keeps trying it out on the handiest authority he has, namely me!

August 02, 2006 2:29 PM  
Blogger Maribeth said...

I had a friend who taught Amanda to play backgammon when she was 4 years old. For an entire year this 28 year old man seemed to delight in tormenting her as he "taught" her how to play. Then shortly after her 5th birthday she beat him, fair and square, and he was furious!
With her innocent face looking up at him she asked, "But isn't this why you taught me to play?"
Teachers teach, but they do not always want the student to master what the teacher teaches! LOL

August 02, 2006 4:29 PM  
Blogger jen said...

I can't believe she's only in the first year. She seems so much older than that and so much more aware.

August 02, 2006 8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's pretty cool that you are honest with your daughter. That will matter alot after she's 10 yrs old.

August 03, 2006 9:53 AM  
Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

I have been such a bad blogger. With all of this heat, I haven't felt like doing anything!

Love the picture of the butterfly. My Grandma started a butterfly garden several years ago, down in Florida. Now we I see a butterfly, I can't help but think of her.

Hope all is well. How is the Mrs?
Glad to hear Juniorette got a good report card. Mine always said "talks too much in class". I guess some people NEVER change!

Ciao from the boot!
Cyn

August 04, 2006 1:20 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Papascott - Kids are smart like that! :)

Maribeth - I think one day she will be smarter than me and then I'll be in trouble......that day may not be as far away as what I think! :)

Jen - She starts 2nd year of school in september, and shortly afterwards it's her 8th birthday. She's one of the oldest in her year :)

Bob - The summer was hot! its cooled down now, but hopefully it'll warm up again soon :)

Naked Nerd - It's funny I catch myself sometimes saying phrases that my parents used to say. Weirds me out a bit! :)

Heza - I believe honesty is the only way to go! :)

Cynthia - Mrs H is fully recovered and feeling fine. Next year I will plant more butterfly attracting plants in the garden. All I have to do then is figure out how to stop our cats catching and eating them :)

August 04, 2006 8:22 PM  
Blogger GuNs said...

Hey !!

Thats such an awesome photograph !! Wow, well done !

Do you read Calvin and Hobbes? Its a cartoon strip which is one of the most published ones in newspapers. Calvin, the little 6-year old kid is a big time troublemaker with his pechant for collecting frogs/worms and other slimy creatures and keeping them in close company of his parents !! LOL, I hope those worms and frogs arent giving you as much trouble !

I was actually going through some of the old posts on my blog and I came across a comment from you. I just came down to check your blog and its really nice to see that you are still blogging regularly since that comment of yours.

I'll make it a point to visit regularly.

Keep writing !

-PeAcE
--WiTh
---GuNs

August 11, 2006 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home