tger greenhaddock: The sleeper express

Thursday, November 17, 2005

The sleeper express


I started my current cycle of early shifts today. This means that the alarm clock goes of at 4am and then I stumble out of bed and get myself ready to go to work, whilst desperately trying to stay awake.

I then drive to the train station, and board the Frankfurt bound train at 05:12 if its on time. After applying the mp3 player I normally drift off into a deep slumber. I am way past the point of worrying about snoring or talking in my sleep - I do both!

I normally awake a few times to check where we are, and this morning we appeared a couple of times to be in the middle of nowhere with no forward motion. Apparently a train in front of us had broken down. So I got to work an hour later than usual, which isn't bad as it seems as it means more sleep and less work.

I recieved my new annual train ticket this week, and slowly it's dawning on me that there is a correlation between price and service. The more the price goes up the worse the service gets.

5 Comments:

Blogger EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

I don't envy you.

November 17, 2005 7:01 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Bob has obviously never had the pleasure of travelling with the DB. :-)

At least you have an excuse for being late for work. You could even take a later train sometimes and STILL blame it on DB!

November 18, 2005 8:14 AM  
Blogger J said...

Your last sentence is 100% true! It makes me dread becoming a commuter next year.

November 18, 2005 8:36 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Bob - the train service used to be really good, but has gone downhill the last few years.

Christina - I like the way you think! - taking the later train is a brilliant idea!

J - Life will never be dull when you commute with DB :)

November 18, 2005 10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

4AM?!? in winter? brrrr!!!!

November 24, 2005 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home