tger greenhaddock: The Schwarzwald Weekend

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The Schwarzwald Weekend

Last weekend the Haddock family travelled down south to Schwarzenberg in Baden-Würtenberg to celebrate the 80th birthday of my father-in-law.
We all stayed at the Hotel Sackmann, which is a family run wellness hotel. The hotel was very nice and the food was superb, but the thing that really struck me was the service. It was outstanding. Definitely the best resturant sevice I have ever seen in Germany (not too hard to achieve I know!), but it was possibly some of the best service I have encountered anywhere on my travels.
The menu was varied and was of high quality. I indulged in venison, goose and lamb. For breakfast I pigged out on eggs & bacon (I don't get the chance that often). The chef is apparently quite famous in the region and has written cook books and produced a video.
Between meals we spent our time in the swimming pool and hotel sauna. The Juniorette had lots of fun with her cousins, and during the main celebration on Saturday they all performed a play for their grandfather. The Juniorette did a dance for him dressed as a princess.
We all had a very nice time and it was great to see all the family together again. But a weekend of gourmet food, fine wine, swimming and visiting the sauna leaves one feeling pretty exhausted. I couldn't do this 7 days a week!
It was a very enjoyable weekend, and I am looking forward to the next one in 10 years time!

The birthday boy

2 Comments:

Blogger christina said...

Awww! Isn't he adorable. And what a great hotel! Living in luxury really IS exhausting, isn't it? :-)

November 16, 2005 12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice family ; come and visit us at www.schwarzwald-vacation.com
Ideal and easy to reach from Frankfurt. Rgds, Eddy

January 05, 2006 11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home