tger greenhaddock: Happy Helmut Holiday

Monday, October 03, 2005

Happy Helmut Holiday

Today in Germany is Happy Helmut Holiday. I believe the Germans like to call it Unification Day, to celebrate the fall of the Berlin Wall and the rejoining of the former communist east Germany with the capitalist west. The crowning moment for former Chancellor Helmut Kohl.

Kohl introduced a solidarity tax to help pay for the reunification. The tax was only supposed to run for a couple of years. It still gets deducted from my monthly paycheck. Never trust a politician.

There is still a rivalry between the East & West German people (now I'm being diplomatic) and during the last couple of years I have heard dissent from both Ossie's & Wessie's in the form that the wall should be rebuilt again! - Who would of thought that a few years ago.

Anyways today is HHH and I am working instead of having a day off and enjoying the crappy weather just like everyone else. But then tomorrow I start my 4 days off when the rest of Germany (apart from the 12% unemployed) return to work. So life isn't so bad after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home