tger greenhaddock: Thinking of spring

Friday, December 08, 2006

Thinking of spring

As we all know it’s been a bit of a weird autumn so far. Very mild for the time of year, and it seems to have confused Mother Nature somewhat. I have seen butterflies and bumble bees in December, migratory birds heading south much later than usual and plants flowering which really shouldn’t be. Climate change is happening, but not for the first time in the planets history. In fact I think that the planet is in constant change, it’s just that we humans are probably accelerating the natural cycle of change by over polluting.

The seeds that I ordered from the Real Seed Company arrived this week. With the weather as it is I’m almost tempted to sow them now (not really). This year I will grow some heirloom varieties of tomatoes, sweet peppers and aubergine. I have tried to select plants that fruit early, so therefore extending the growing season. After the great chilli glut of 2006 I intend to grow a lot less chilli plants this year. I have some in pots over wintering in the cellar. I am also trying to over winter sweet peppers & aubergines as well. In theory it should work as they are perennials, but in practice I shall have to wait and see.

Shown above is the Plum Lemon variety of tomatoe which comes from Russia, that I will be trying to grow this summer. It is shaped shaped exactly like a lemon, right down to the point on the bottom!

Technorati Tags: , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the plants! This tomato looks very good, and I think russian plants might even get good fruits here in the "cold mountains". Hopefully we take us more time for gardenig next year, espacially tomatoes are good for us, everybody likes them, and yellow ones are also interesting for kids. The last thing I did for this year was planting a male and female Sanddorn near the willow and the wild rose in the meadow.

December 08, 2006 12:16 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

In fact, I thought they were lemons, until I took a closer look! I freeze my chilis and use them all winter... yes, they tend to be quite prolific. Overwintering peppers and aubergines? Tell me more about how you are actually doing that.

December 08, 2006 4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got me thinking that it's time to look for plants that are disease resistant and order my seeds. I'm planning quite the garden this year!

December 09, 2006 1:04 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Have you ever ordered any seeds or plants from any German companies? I'll check out the Real Seed site but was wondering if you have tried any others. Growing up we always ordered from some of the American seed companies and I'd like to do that here for our garden next summer. We haven't even had our first heavy snow here but your post has me ready for spring planting!

December 10, 2006 8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seed catalogues are a delight that help me get through the long cold Canadian winter. Maybe I'll dig up some of my grass next spring and plant some veggies.

December 11, 2006 3:36 AM  
Blogger kharman said...

What an interesting tomato, have never heard of them so obviously they are not available down under in Australia.

December 11, 2006 6:01 AM  
Blogger christina said...

I love the colours of the heirloom tomatoes. I'll be interested to see them when they're really growing in your garden since you have such a green thumb1

December 12, 2006 9:46 AM  
Blogger Mike B said...

At first glance I thought, "Where did he get smooth-skinned lemons." Cool. I've never seen those before.

December 12, 2006 8:46 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Deepblue - Watch out for the Sandorn as it can grow quite quick and quite wild! :)

I.I.Barkat - The peppers and aubergines that I grew in pots in the summer, I severely cut then back and put them in the cellar. In theory one is supposed to chop back the roots and repot the plants .....but I was too lazy for that. It's all an experiment though, but would be good if it works! :)

Maribeth - You did fantastic in your garden last summer. I looking forward to seeing what you grow this year! :)

Michelle - I've never ordered seeds from German companies, but it is really something that I should do! :)

Ex.shammickite - Go on grow some veggies! its good fun! :)

Kharman - I'd never seen them before, and as they look so unusual I thought I'd give them a go! :)

Christina - I'll be sure to take piccys when they have grown! :)

Mikeb - They do look a little weird but should look good in salads :)

December 15, 2006 1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home