tger greenhaddock: The week that was

Thursday, October 26, 2006

The week that was

This week the Juniorette has been at Football School with the 1. FFC Frankfurt and has had a great time, learnt a lot and met a lot of top Women Footballers. She attended with a couple of her team mates from Marburg and the total group consisted of 44 girls with ages ranging from 7 to 16. FFC Frankfurt are the top Women's team in Germany and are the current UEFA cup holders which is the premier tournament in Europe.

Early in the week her coaches were a German national player (Steffi Jones) and a Danish national player (Louise Hansen). The standard of training was extremely high and well worth the daily drive to and fro from Frankfurt. Mrs H and I attended for a day to watch and were lucky enough to be included in the schools outing, which was a trip to Aarlen to watch a Women’s International game – Germany v England. Germany won 5 – 1 and Birgit Prinz (FIFA’s current women’s player of the year) scored her 100th goal for Germany, on her 29th Birthday. It was a great game with a great atmosphere. Afterwards the girls got autographs from a lot of the German players. The following day Brigit Prinz showed up at the football school to chat to the girls and sign autographs.


The week finished off with a football match between the parents. I played and my legs are not what they used to be (neither are my heart & lungs!). It was good fun and I realised that I really do miss playing football from time to time. There was then an awards ceremony where the kids received their certificates and medals, and these were handed out by Nia Künzer who scored the winning goal in the final in 2003 when Germany won the World Cup. It was a super week for the Juniorette, pure football heaven, and to top it off, she and Mrs H then went direct to Mainz to watch Werder Bremen play. Werder won 6 - 1

Overall it was an excellent week for the Juniorette who now wants to attend Football School again next Easter. Mrs H and I were very impressed with the setup there, it was very professional, a lot of fun and they really cared for the kids.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger eastcoastlife said...

Hello from Singapore! I enjoy reading your posts. I wish there is such a football event for my son to attend in Singapore. It would be fun for him & my husband.

October 28, 2006 7:26 AM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Wow. What a great week for Juniorette! The parents' game sounded like a lot of fun, too. Don't worry, I'm sure that there were other parents in worst shape ;-)

October 28, 2006 11:56 AM  
Blogger Mike B said...

Well, I recall you mentioning rooting for the German team, so I won't comment on the score. Sounds like good fun ... even if you have to drag yourself down to the big, ugly city (Marburg really is much prettier).

October 29, 2006 1:59 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Eastcoastlife - Thanks for stopping by. Football is a good family event.

Canadianswiss - The training week for the Juniorette was really great. If there were other parents in worse shape I never noticed. I guess I was focusing on my own pain! :)

Mikeb - I supported Germany, but did want to sing a few England footy songs but Mrs H wouldn't allow it! - I totally agrre that Mrburg is much prettier than Frankfurt (espcially the bit I work in!)

October 29, 2006 6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounded like it was an awesome time, especially meeting all those football heros. Got any football videos to share?

October 29, 2006 8:14 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Excellent. That sounds like lots of fun for everyone.

October 29, 2006 9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like everyone had lots of fun. There is another event upcoming, I saw a flyer in the U-Bahn this morning and took it with me so that I could tell you. It is the "Girls Wanted-Indoor Day" with Birgit Prinz and it takes place on Sat 25 Nov (see www.girlswanted-soccer.de for details). Sounds like something Juniorette would love.

November 01, 2006 10:51 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Heza - We took pictures, but I forgot about the movie clip function of the camera! (again!) :)

Christina - It really was a lot of fun. The Juniorette is looking forward to going again next year! :)

Nicolette -. Many thanks for the info. The Juniorette is now registered and hopefully she will get a place. There are only 30 places and apparently its already oversubscibed. We are keeping our fingers crossed though! :)

November 02, 2006 1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home