tger greenhaddock: How the war was won

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

How the war was won

The Juniorette asked me yesterday why I drank so much English tea. I flippantly remarked that drinking tea is what helped the British Tommy win the war. She rather coolly replied that England only won the war because of help from America. I was stunned, but then quickly regained my composure to inform her that it was the quick thinking, bravery and wit of Die Englanders that won the war, and the fact that we made our main attacks when the Germans were having Kaffee und Kuchen. I don’t think she believed me.

I wonder where she gets here info from. I don’t think they have covered the war at school yet. After all, she is only in the first class. I must make it a priority to make sure she hears the English version of how the war was won.

Even though the weather is still decidedly wintery in Germany, signs that spring is on its way are all around. One of the major signs for me is when then Cranes return. Over the past few days I have seen and heard a couple of thousand of them flying over Marburg on their way north. Surely the warm weather cannot be that far behind.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger kharman said...

Interesting about your child and the war. I like to think that my 2 children who are aged 8 & 11 will be informed on all aspects of things and then be able to make up their minds what they believe, for example I am not religous in any way somy children have only been to church once for there grnadfathers funereal, I have never said to them religion is bad but I think that when they are old enough they can hear not only my views and make their own choices. What is taught to kids today in Austalia at primary school level is not a lot of history other than how our country was founded, oh and i dont think they mention that many Aboriginals were slaughtered on the arrival of the english.

March 07, 2006 10:09 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I'm now pretty well convinced that your daughter is a genius!

March 07, 2006 11:29 PM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

nice story ... and beautiful sign of spring you've got to observe there ...

March 08, 2006 6:27 AM  
Blogger leon's life said...

Wow I agree with Dixie Juniorette sounds so bright.

Look out Greenhaddock, what will she be like when shes is 15 :)

March 08, 2006 3:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Haddock...Smart girl that one, but ask her about the Battle of Britain.

March 08, 2006 7:15 PM  
Blogger Tati said...

Cranes? You've cranes up there - wow.
I've never seen one.

March 09, 2006 7:48 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Kharman - The Juniorette is smart enough to work out whats bollox and whats not. We tend to add humour to every situation as its in short supply here in Germany :)

Dixie - I wouldn't agree with that just yet.....but probably very soon :)

Rory - Since I wrote the entry we have had another big dump of snow :(

Leons Life - I'm trying not to think about that!

Just Another - That's a good question for her. She'll then probably watch my Battle of Britain and tell me the answer.

Karen - I've never seen one on the ground, but they fly over every spring & Autumn. They are a lovely sight to see.

March 09, 2006 8:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If the war against Nazi Germany was won with cups of tea, then the War on Terror will be won with the aid of a skinny hazlenut frappuccino.

Trust me, Osama Bin Laden hates you infidels, but he does have a soft spot for a hazlenut frappuccino. The CIA think he's hiding in some cave in Afghanistan - he's not: I saw him in my local Starbucks yesterday.

March 10, 2006 8:24 AM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Juniorette is one smart cookie.

It's funny that also in Canada, the history books differ depending if they were written by a French or an English author.

Ha! Have a great word verification code: ugtibite

March 10, 2006 12:44 PM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

Hope the cranes didn't mind the snow too much

March 11, 2006 12:29 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Versteckt - The Cranes do make quite a bit noise as they fly over as well.

Tara - The history of the war is taught at school, in which class/grade this occurs, and to what depth I do not know. Glad you like the blog.

Capgas - I also hear that Osama Bin Laden is an Arsenal fan. Wonder if he has a season ticket?

Canadianswiss - I think how history is written is always from a standpoint. The verification codes do throw up some funny ones at times :)

Lisa - The weathers getting colder again. I just seen the forcast......freezing nights again :(

Rory - With the weather getting worse I wouldn't be suprised if the Cranes didn't start flying south again! :)

March 11, 2006 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home