tger greenhaddock: A big scare

Monday, February 13, 2006

A big scare

It has been a couple of stressful weeks in the Haddock household. Mrs H spent most of last week visiting doctors and having scans. It was discovered in a routine blood test that she had elevated levels of enzymes that indicated a problem with her liver. After various scans the doctors found tumours growing on her liver. These have subsequently been showed to be non cancerous and are termed FNH.

It was a very worrying time for all of us, and it seems the next step is to monitor the FNH to see if they get any bigger. Researching on the internet helped us immensely, as doctors do not always impart the required knowledge that allows one to sleep soundly at night. Dr Google told us that FNH is not life threatening, lots of people have FNH and don’t know it, and that there is no course of treatment for FNH.

For FNH there doesn’t seem to be a recommendation to curb alcohol intake, even so, Mrs H has decided to live her life more liver friendly. She has stopped drinking alcohol. I am cutting down on the alcohol as well. Hopefully then, with less beer, a better diet and more physical excercise we can become fitter and healthier in 2006.

Technorati Tags: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger christina said...

Oh dear! That's not very pleasant. Good thing she found out about it and that it's not life threatening. I've never heard of that before, just looked it up and found that it occurs primarily in women. Who knew?

I hope everything continues to go well for Mrs. Haddock! Please give her my regards. And a big hug. :-)

February 14, 2006 11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you are having health worries and i hope mrs.h is feeling better soon. Lots of veg is good for the liver particularly brocolli, dark berries and nuts. Lots of info in that 'you are what you eat' book. All the best.

February 14, 2006 3:05 PM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

Blimey! That is scary! Poor Mrs Haddock. Hope it all works out well for you both.

February 14, 2006 4:42 PM  
Blogger J said...

Oh my! Your family is definitely in my thoughts. Give Mrs H a big hug for me.

February 14, 2006 9:47 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

My goodness! Hate that there have been health troubles on the horizon. My best to Mrs. H and I hope things get better soon.

February 15, 2006 12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scarry.. wishing you a less stressfull week !!

February 15, 2006 2:30 AM  
Blogger Tati said...

Sorry to hear that things have been as such, but glad to hear that things are not as bad as they might have been.
Good health to both of you!

February 15, 2006 7:50 AM  
Blogger leon's life said...

I'd never heard of this before either, I hope that all the info. that you have been able to gather has put your minds at rest.

I know that when the word tumour is announced everyone thinks the worst. I have a genetic disorder called "neurofibromatosis", that causes tumors to form on nerves throughout the body.

I have lived with this for many years with few problems,no side effects and have had a child with no worries too. Having lots of info. on hand has helped me to realise that 'tumour' is not as bad as is first thought.

I hope your both less worried and that Mrs Haddock is coping with the scary news.

February 15, 2006 8:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck holding to it! I guess it is motivation to make you change.

February 15, 2006 7:23 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Many thanks to everyone for their kind comments. It is really appreciated by Mrs H and I.

February 15, 2006 11:04 PM  
Blogger Rocky said...

Glad to hear Mrs H is on the mend. Hope you both have a healthy 2006 and beyond.

February 20, 2006 4:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home