tger greenhaddock: The thin ice of life

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The thin ice of life

The scandal around Marburg this last week has been that of the Rail Track thieves. Apparently a large section of a disused line was stolen. This is no easy feat. You can’t exactly just fit it into your pocket and then walk off. This was organised crime in the true sense of the word. The ‘gang’ were disguised as Deutche Bahn workers and had informed the local council that work would be taking place. So from right under the noses of everyone they stole the track. Who would have thought that there was so much money in scrap?

On a much sadder note a 7 year old boy drowned in the Lahn River. He had been playing on the frozen ice and fell through into the river. His body was recovered a day later. Some friends of ours know the family well. They are devastated.

Technorati Tags: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Ms Mac said...

We have a little lake/pond about 50 yards from our house. In the summer it's so putrid that I know the boys won't go near it but this icy weather has me a nervous wreck. Every time they go out the back Schlittlerfahren (sp?) I make them promise me a hunderd times or more to not go near the lake.

That poor family, my heart breaks for them.

February 07, 2006 9:00 AM  
Blogger leon's life said...

Me too every parents worst nightmare losing a child.

February 07, 2006 9:08 AM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

That's really devastating news. Makes my stomach turns when I hear things like that.

February 07, 2006 12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, the rail theives may be planning some elaborate train robbery job. Like, stealing some rail to build a diversion the next time the money train comes along and then BAM!

I have a very active imagination, I know.

and that poor boy :( my thoughts go out to the family.

February 07, 2006 1:07 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

I saw the thing about the stolen tracks and my husband and I turned to one another and said at the exact same time "Russian mafia!" and two seconds later the reporter said an organization like the Russian mafia was suspected.

I'm so sorry for that poor family. It must be the worst thing in the world to lose a child. My thoughts are with them.

February 07, 2006 11:50 PM  
Blogger christina said...

Ahh, we had a good laugh over the stolen tracks. I enjoyed the part on the news about someone calling DB and telling them and the DB not doing a thing and not seeming to care at all. :-)I also saw something a while ago about thieves stealing manhole covers to sell as scrap metal so there must be good money in it.

That's so tragic about the little boy. I'm so sorry. Two little girls broke through the ice somewhere in the Hannover area about a month ago - they were rescued but one died on the way to the hospital and the other about a week later. Just breaks my heart.

February 08, 2006 10:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That boy story reminds me of a story this week where a woman and her 4 year old got caught into this river when their car slid off into the water. The woman was on her cell phone at the time with her friend. She was calling frantically for help as she was drowning. IT breaks my heart as well to hear stories like the little boy and this one above.

February 08, 2006 8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home