tger greenhaddock: Baden Baden

Monday, April 10, 2006

Baden Baden

The Haddock family have just returned from a long weekend in Baden Baden. We had a wonderful time and really enjoyed the break. We arrived on Friday afternoon, and after a nice relaxing walk in the woods we drove to Stuttgart to see the musical show Mama Mia at the Palladium theatre. It was a very funny show and we all enjoyed it very much especially as the music is by Abba. The Juniorette got a bit tearful at a sad bit, but she enjoyed it and really got into her first big show.

On the Saturday we ventured into France and visited Strasbourg (See picture above). The weather was glorious. We did a bit of shopping, visited the cathedral, and sat outside at a café away from the main tourist area. It was at this point that I realised Mrs H was quite good with the lingo. She says she’s out of practice but she miles ahead of where I would ever be in the linguistic stakes. It was a lovely day out and we saw quite a lot of storks and deer as we were driving to and from France.

Back over the border in Germany we encountered a very fast Porsche who seemed to think the Autobahn was his private race track. He was behind us, flashed his lights and pointed at his head, so I naturally gave him the English two fingered salute, with which he replied with the finger. The Porsche driver looked very wound up, I was laughing, and the Juniorette found the whole thing fascinating. I explained the English salute – It was performed by the English archers before battles with the French to show the Froggies that they still had their fingers, because captured archers had their two bow string pulling fingers cut off. She then proceeded to show two fingers to any French car she saw. A chip off the old block! – I didn’t explain the Finger though!

When we returned to Baden Baden we took the Merkur Bahn (Cable Railway) to the top of the Mount Merkur. There were fantastic views over the Black Forest and over the Rhine valley below. We went up into the observation tower for a better view. It was quite outstanding. It was also preparation, height wise, for our trip to Europa Park the following day.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Oooh, I love that region. Strasbourg with all its cafés and beautiful houses. You made me smile throught the whole story. I could imagine Juniorette. Haha. i wonder if the french car drivers understood :-)

April 10, 2006 7:58 PM  
Blogger J said...

Sound like a great time. Strassbourg has been a place I've been meaning to get to for a few years now (ever since I found out that it existed).

I find it very easy to wind up Germans, don't you? They're so high strung. How was Europa Park? I'd like to go there someday.

April 10, 2006 8:15 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Well I imagine I'd have been wound up too if I were in a Porsche on that part of the Autobahn and I encountered a slow car in the left lane. And I'm not even German. ;)

April 10, 2006 9:23 PM  
Blogger Tati said...

What a lovely trip - and the weather looks great too!

Giggling at the juniorette :-))

April 11, 2006 6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhh a trip with beautiful weather and with even beautiful company! lucky man you :)

the photos are so sunny and warm. perfect for putting a smile on my face.

April 11, 2006 8:28 AM  
Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

I thought the one finger salute was what you gave people after ONE of your two archer fingers had been cut off! hehehehe!

Sounds like a wonderful trip. We wanted to go to France this spring, but will have to settle with reading about your trip there!

Cyn

April 11, 2006 11:25 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

I did not know that about the two fingered salute!

What is the general concesus on the Juniorette? I think she looks a lot like her Dad. What do friends and acquaintances say?

April 11, 2006 12:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Baden-Baden...Land of my roots (well, one of many)I have a great-great-great something another, who came from there.

April 11, 2006 12:40 PM  
Blogger Maribeth said...

Wonderful pictures are great accounting of your weekend. I found when we lived in Berlin there was always a multitude of things to do. Here in the sticks of New Hampshire, you must plan even a journey for groceries. (nearest shop is 20 miles down the road!)

April 11, 2006 1:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That sounds wonderful. As you can tell Haddock, we are all "green" with envy. The Juniorette learns quick! Make sure she always uses her powers for good and not evil!

April 11, 2006 5:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh that sounds so much fun. IF I could only figure out what is so fun and close around here like that. I'm hoping we make that trek this weekend while we are alone and have some time off from work.

April 11, 2006 10:21 PM  
Blogger EuroTrippen said...

I'm jealous! How about making me an honorary Haddock and letting me tag along on the next family outing if I promise to behave?

April 12, 2006 1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really did some of the highlights in the region, so much in some days, perfect! I'm happy that you had such nice weather, maybe you can have more trips to Baden-Baden in the future. Boy Blue was very happy to meet you at Weinheim, please tell Juniorette to take a look in the little box he gave her with the comic, he made a special small knaki-thing for yo all.

April 12, 2006 10:14 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

CanadianSwiss - Strassborg is lovely, but I suspect the French car drivers realised what the Juniorette was doing :)

J - Europa park was excellent. Well worth a trip.

Dixie - We weren't travelling slow, but the porsche was driving very fast. Too fast in my opinion :)

Karen - The weather was fantastic. But it rained lightly on the Sunday.

Belinda - It was nice to feel the warmth of the sun :)

James - Its always good to have a break :)

Cynthia - Maybe you can make France in the summer :)

Ms Mac - Some people say she looks like me and some like Mrs H! - overall both physically and menatlly she is a good mix of both of us :)

Just another - Baden Baden is an interesting place :)

Maribeth - Local shop 20 miles away! - thats a long way to go for a pint of milk! :)

Claire - The force is stong with the Juniorette. I hope she does not turn to the dark side! :)

Expat Traveller - Hope you have fun on your trek :)

Eurotrippen - but only if you promise to be good! :)

April 12, 2006 10:31 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Deepblue - I will tell the Juniorette when I see her later (I'm back at work today). She is swimming at the moment practicing for her silver Award. It was a nice surprise to meet Boyblue and Opa in Weinheim :)

April 12, 2006 10:35 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Man, we love Strasbourg!

- Sparky, from Jen's Account

April 13, 2006 6:24 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Sparky - Strasborg is a cool place :)

April 19, 2006 6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home