tger greenhaddock: A swallow doth not a summer make

Thursday, March 30, 2006

A swallow doth not a summer make

Mrs H and I went to the gym yesterday morning. The plan was to do some light aerobic exercise. I hate plans, so we went for the fat burning option and did the complete training program. I was knackered and could feel I was not back to full strength yet. Of course I wasn’t to know that later when the Juniorette came home from school she would want to go for a ‘little’ cycle ride.

This was our first bike ride of the season, so we planned not to go very far (I’m not very good with plans). So after checking our bikes and pumping air into our tyres we set off. The Juniorette announced she could cycle for ever, but I reminded her she has to save enough energy to get home. Some lessons need to be learnt the hard way.

We had a lot of fun, but our round trip in the end was 25km, and both the Juniorette & I were both tired, and suffering from saddle sore. It rained on our way back home so we got soaking wet, and the Juniorette suffered her first puncture. Luckily it was a slow puncture, so every once and a while we had to stop to re-inflate the tyre. She battled on and now can’t wait for our next trip, where she wants to go further and try and beat our record of 40km which we did last summer. Talking of summer we saw our first swallows today, which is always a good sign that summer will be along at some stage!

Technorati Tags: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger J said...

I knew I liked Juniorette! Cycle on!

You're right, it is easy to get carried away when cycling. One time last autumn, on a beautiful warm and sunny day I cycled to Bonn. After riding around Bonn for a while, I then cycled 37km more and ended up in Cologne (about 120 km on the cycle path along the Rhein).

I took the train home.

March 30, 2006 4:25 PM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Oh. First saddle sore of the season. I feel with you. ;-) Uhh. Can you send a few more swallows down here, please? Haven't seen any yet! Otherwise, plain good weather will do too :-)

March 30, 2006 8:47 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

J - I think if I cycled 120km I would end up in hospital! :)

Bob - LOL!....it's like being on some other planet with super heavy gravity or something. Thats exactly how I felt! :)

Canadianswiss - My bum is better now :) The swallows are in the post! :)

Tara - Thats on my 'to do' list for next week :)

March 31, 2006 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last time I cycled 40km was 10 years ago and I was in the Fatherland actually, we camped on the beach at Warnemuende overnight before heading back the next morning, I hadn't cycled for about 3-4 years before that and the pain on my gluteus maximus was so intense I had to borrow a pillow to put between my behind and the razor blade that I was sitting on!

I have recently bought a bike in order to try cycling to work when the weather stops being nasty. I shall try to draw strength from your prowess!

March 31, 2006 11:36 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Red Baron - Yeah the saddle sore is a killer. Take care when cycling to work, I hear the motorists have it in for cyclists in the UK

Matt - Treadmills try to kill me as well! :)

Lisa - I'm slowly getting into shape. I still have a lot of work to do :)

Rache - The Juniorette likes sporty activity and she also likes TV and computer games, but so far she has found her own balance between the activities :)

April 02, 2006 11:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I used to love doing that when I lived outside of Basel on the french side. Our track was next to the house and went all the way to mulhouse so it was a good 40kms in each direction. I had lots of fun on sunny days for sure. I so know how your bike ride must have been...

So much fun!!! I'm jealous!!!

April 02, 2006 11:30 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Expat - Hopefully with a nice summer the Juniorette and I will do a lot of cycling this year..... and it definitely is fun! :)

April 03, 2006 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home