tger greenhaddock: Tom Dick

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Tom Dick

I was off sick from work on Monday and Tuesday. I was feeling a bit feverish and was aching all over. Fortunately it has gone as quickly as it appeared. I am not feeling 100% today but I should be up to a light visit to the gym. It has been raining quite a lot over the last few days in Marburg and two nights ago we had our first thunder storm of the year, and boy did it rain. My water tank is now standing at 83% and the fertiliser is definitely watered into the lawn.

I planted a lot of seeds last week in the propagators, and so far the Zucchini, tomatoes and lettuce have germinated. In the garden I found a bright lime green caterpillar on our thyme bush (no idea what species), the gooseberry and blackcurrant bushes have leaves, and Mickey our tomcat is making a serious dent in the butterfly population – he catches and eats them.

The Juniorette’s dance class put on a little show earlier in the week for the parents which Mrs H attended. Her class is definitely more orientated towards ballet nowadays, and the Juniorette really seems to enjoy it. Her football training conflict has been solved. She will now train with the F-Jugend squad until the autumn when she along with the older members of the G-Jugend will move up to the F-Jugend anyway. A result, just like Arsenals win over Juventus Turin last evening in the Champions League.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh No! Just when you were so happy about doing / feeling well, a cold hit. That happened to me once, too.
I am very impressed with all of your gardening!! You could give Martha Stewart a run for her money. I look at a plant and it dies. Do you think ballet makes the Juniorette a better soccer (sorry football) player? Sometimes American athletes will take dance lessons. I was wondering if that is really true.

March 29, 2006 10:18 AM  
Blogger EuroTrippen said...

There's a direct correlation between regular exercise and fighting off illness. It's one of the fringe benefits of regular gym visits!

March 29, 2006 11:32 AM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

I'm impressed with what you have in your garden. And that caterpillar: I've seen them before, too. Our cat only goes after - slow - field mice (thank goodness).

I'm sure that Juniorette is happy that the training conflict has been solved.

March 29, 2006 12:56 PM  
Blogger CanadianSwiss said...

Oh, and I'm glad you're feeling better. Had the same thing two weeks ago.

March 29, 2006 12:57 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Claire - I think dancing helps the Juniorette with football as it helps with balance and co-ordination.

Eurotrippen - I believe that is true as well. I just probably need to excercise more! :)

Canadianswiss - The garden still needs a lot of work. Its mainly lawn with a few fruit trees that I planted last year. I have one bed that we planted vegetables in last year, and the Juniorette will have her own bed this year for growing the veggies that she likes.

March 29, 2006 3:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Marberg…If I’m not mistaken, isn’t that near Giessen? I used to live in Giessen as a teen. Glad to hear your over the flu. A little worried it might have been the birdie kind? Speaking of football, did you happen to catch the Bild’s write up about Bayern Munich’s rather international roster. Almost looks like a major league baseball team. “Hum, what language is spoken here?”

March 29, 2006 3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, certainly sounds impressive what you've got going there in the garden.
Our growing season is just about over, though the winter vegies are waiting to be planted. Brockoli, Cabbage and Brussel Sprouts, to which my husband said "can't we plant something yummy?" so it might have to be a biiiig monoculture of Spinach!!

March 30, 2006 12:07 AM  
Blogger Tati said...

You have green leaves on assorted bushes? I never realized there was such a climate difference within the country - everything is still bare here.
Happy Gardening :-)

March 30, 2006 6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

March 30, 2006 10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have to say sorry again, somebody told me, that this was a Hoax, a "Kettenmail" and not serious, I'm too naive for the www!Dear Haddock, maybe you can put away my comment.

March 30, 2006 10:55 AM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Deepblue - The comment has been deleted as requested. There are a lot of hoax mails circulating nowadays and sometimes its difficult to spot them. See you all at the footy match on Saturday! :)

March 30, 2006 12:24 PM  
Blogger Haddock said...

Just another - You are correct, Marburg is near Giessen. I pass through Giessen on the train to work, and we go shopping there sometimes.
I didn't see the Bild article. We just get the local paper here (which also covers national/international news).

Franzie - I love Brockoli, Cabbage and Brussel Sprouts and Spinach. Although Mrs H doesn't allow me sprouts too often due to the gaseous affect it has on me! :)

Karen - The climate can vary quite a lot. The trees leaf about 1 week earlier in Frankfurt which is only 100km south of Marburg - its even earlier on the edges the Odenwald which is not that much further south than Frankfurt.

March 30, 2006 12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When it comes to ill the Germans have vocab sussed. Krank, Krankenwagen, Krankenhaus, Krankenschein I love compound nouns!

March 31, 2006 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home