tger greenhaddock: Sick as a parrot

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Sick as a parrot

The last couple weeks the Haddock house has been struck down with flu. I am fortunately back on the road to full health, but Mrs H is still quite affected by the illness. The Juniorette was lucky, she had an intense 48 hour version which was over quite quickly and didn’t interfere with her week at football school in Frankfurt. Once again she really enjoyed her time there and is looking forward to attending again later in the year.

As many of you know, I am a shift worker and have been so for the last 24 years, but starting next month my own personal nightmare is coming true – I have to work normal days, 9 to 5. I work for an American company (I have worked for a few), and management have decided to outsource the shift element of our job to an eastern European country. For many reasons, which I will not go into here, it is a bad decision. But the decision is made. All I can do now is watch the wheels fall off.

But on a brighter note, I have planted my Tomato seeds for this year and they have already sprouted in the seed tray. Later this week I will plant the Bell pepper seeds.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Maribeth said...

I have planted my eggplant seeds ad now am awaiting them sprouting.
Hope you and Mrs. H. feel better soon.

April 10, 2008 3:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry about the change in your job ! Hope things work out for you

April 10, 2008 4:51 AM  
Blogger swenglishexpat said...

Hi Haddock - Sorry to hear about working hours. I suspect you work for the same company that, in 1999, bought ACC, where I worked as an Oracle developer, making me redundant. Hope you fare better!

April 10, 2008 3:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hear you on the job change and being sick.. P does 12 hr shifts and I hate it because it's 2 days, 2 nights.. We don't see each other for 3 days practically... I hate it! Would rather him be on the other shift for sure.

April 11, 2008 1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking about out sourcing: I am a retired American expat living in Germany. I pay taxes in the States. I recently received a mailing from the IRS detailing THE Economic Stimulus Rebate .... return address Austin Texas, but mailed FROM Mail Center Aukland, NZ! Heaven only knows WHO made the paper.

April 11, 2008 5:10 AM  
Blogger Shammickite said...

Too bad about the shift change. My son works shifts at the TV station, loves it cos it means he doesnt have to travel at rush hour!
Glad you're all better, I hate the flu.

April 11, 2008 11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Fatherland is one of the last bastions of Schichtarbeit, used to do it myself at BMW Hauptwerk in Muenchen, we got extra U-bahns at 5am to get us to work, you don't get that over here.

Tomatoes are the evil red fruit of Satan and must be purged from the planet!

April 24, 2008 11:24 AM  
Blogger kharman said...

I hope you are all better now, in 5 days im flying off to Sabah (Malaysia) and have been fighting off a cold for the last week. The sun and rest will do me good.

April 27, 2008 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home